when I'll buy a DSLR.

I once had the 17-35/2.8 and found myself constantly in the 24mm and

35mm settings. Other than that, I did not like it's performance. The

16-35/2.8 is out of the question (price...) so it's basically down to

the question in the subject.

So, have any of you compared the zoom to these primes ? I am

especially interested in reports from full-frame users (i.e. film or

1Ds). Flare ? Chromatic Aberrations ? Sharpness ? Contrast ? The lens

(es) will mostly be used at wide apertures.

Filter size is also a non-issue.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

Yakim.

the 35/2 is the best lens I have ever had. Sharp, color, contrast.

So small and light it can always be with me even in a pocket.

The shrpness in edge to edge in every F-stop

It is a drag to change lenses but when i put on the 35 I know I am going to like the pic.

The 24 is good but not as great as the 35 (a bit less sharp, especially when full open)

Why not ask 17-40 Vs 16-35 ?

Hi Yakim,

I've just acquired the 17-40 F4L, as it is an ideal standard zoom for my EOS 10D. I'm a prime man at heart and so would never really expect a zoom to be as good as primes, but here are my feelings on this lens:

It's pretty sharp, but no match for primes. It resists flare very well, especially for a zoom. It has some barrel distortion at the wide end, and some pincushion at the long - not awful but noticeable, even in the viewfinder. I haven't noticed any chromatic aberration.

I have made some tests to compare it with my EF28 2.8, I will try and upload these now. Basically the prime is much sharper, especially wide open, but this continues all the way through the range of apertures. It also has better contrast. If I was a full frame user (which I was until last week...) I would stick to primes. The only reason I have the 17-40 is that it seems the best solution for the 10D. All my other lenses are still primes, but this is my wideangle solution for DSLR.<div>00564u-12714884.thumb.jpg.200f8ed6fddd9d0053c70cb47110e9df.jpg</div>

No - I'm a novice when it comes to lens testing: for some reason when I changed the lenses the camera's aperture priority mode decided on a different exposure which was half a stop lighter... This does make contrast and colour hard to judge (sorry) but sharpness shouldn't be affected.

Thanks Yakim for asking this kind of question. And thanks to Richard for this kind of answer. Now you both made my day: I now can wait and NOT dream about getting that lens. The primes I have are in my bag to stay� Unless there is a deal out there that will be very very difficult to refuse.

JB

Ah, well; two brief reviews does a consensus make! Especially when they are not consistant. . . .

Another gent recently compared the 17-40/4L to the 20/2.8 and decided in favor of the zoom.

To my mind, the jury is still being polled. I look forward to a few more reviews. Of course, my next mortgage payment may make the decision for me. . . .

One must remember that the 24 F2.8, 28 F2.8 and 35 F2 all have excellent reputations optically. The 20 F2.8 is not so good, as it gets harder to make a wider lens like this.

I felt that the 17-40 F4L was very competitive with the 20 F2.8 on the basis of my results. It's also likely significantly better (and looked it to me) than my 24-85. I doubt it would be on par with the 24 F2.8, 28 F2.8 and 35 F2 primes, but one couldn't reasonably expect it to be. Even the more expensive 24-70 and 16-35 are not on a par with these lenses.

However, for a zoom lens of the range that the 17-40 F4L offers, it is very good indeed, and certainly more than enough for a great many casual and not-so-casual users, particularly on 1.6X FOV crop bodies.

I have posted some pictures atthe end of the following thread

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0055CB. I have been disappointed by its performance, even compared to the old 17-35 2.8. I agree that the 17-35 is less sharp than the new 17-40, but what makes a picture pleasing is not only sharpness. I will test the 16-35 2.8 and then make a choice!

Thanks again for posting the test.

Thank-you Richard! Some people love to eat up the high tech stuff that the marketing people throw out as bait. A casual photographer would have no interest in the 17-40 except that it is the next "great" thing. Composing an effective image with a 17mm or 20mm lens requires perserverance, thought, and time. The casual user who spends a fortune for this lens will soon be using it in the 24-40 range and the pros know that it can't match the primes simply for design and manufacturing restrictions. Yes, a pro who demands absolute flexibility in focal range and who is willing to accept the loss of resolution and contrast, and increased distortion will use this lens (perfect for newspaper photo journalists).

I know this is a canon thread, but does any one know how the New Nikon 12-24 performs. If Nikon has come up with a quality ultrawide lens for digital, what's holding Canon back. 17mm on a 10D is not that wide.

I'd be using film for wide angle and digital for telephoto.

Just such a shame that Canon doesn't produce an EF17/4 prime lens. With my old FD system, I always used the 17/4 and 35/2 primes. But with EOS you only have the choice between 20/2.8 and 14/2.8L wide angle primes, or the zooms. So to get a 17mm, you will have to go for the zooms.

• 3 weeks later...
ONe could not reasonable expect the 17-40 to equal the 35/2 or 24/2.8 prime. According to reviews I have read, it does compare quite well with the 16-35 though. I also saw Samir's comparison shots. They were not useful since the lighting and exposure were so different.