willingness/readiness to carry extra weight around. But still it�s an

issue.<p>

Second I guess is stability of camera & lens support. Is tripod or

monopod the way to go? I don�t have any idea on monopods as I haven�t

used one in my life.

<p>I would be glad to hear your opinions on pros/cons of the issues

and your experiences. I haven�t found the issue discussed in

photo.net archives. And I would like to hear more information before

deciding whether to buy a light tripod or monopod.

<p>p.s. I have read the article <a href="

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2gkrc/Tripod-Test.html"> Lighter-

Weight Tripods for Travel: A Suitability Survey by Robert Segal</a>

and currently like Velbon Chaser EFL-4 option but I have to look at

it more as I didn�t really get what kind of head it uses.

<p>p.s.s. I currently have Manfrotto/Bogen 055PRO/3021BPRO tripod

with Manfrotto/Bogen 468RC/3435QR ballhead. But it�s way too heavy

and large for trips and cities to carry with all the day.

Best,

Recognising the difficulty of tripod-based photography in places like New York my own solution is to take two systems. One is for hand holding (in my case a Mamiya 7) the other needs a tripod. The latter lives in my hotel room unless I consciously need it-for example I might well use it for skyline views at dawn and dusk where I'm sure I'll have room to set up and I won't get hassled for the use of a tripod. NYC is not a tripod friendly city either from the perspective of avoiding the attention of the myriads of security people all of whom think they can stop you photographing, or indeed just finding the space in exactly the right place. Example, you can take a tripod to the top of the Empire State Building, but try finding the space up there to set it up. Equally you'll find that trying to use a tripod will restrict the photography you do. I have no problems walking into the Guggenheim; the Trump Tower; Grand Central; photographing round Battery Park etc when working hand-held. The second you set a tripod up you'll be surrounded by people telling you what you can't do, and frankly in most cases if you even carry a tripod you might well come across many of the problems of using one since people will assume you'll use it. In places like Delhi and Agra you won't even get into the main monuments carrying a tripod, whether you intend to use it or not.

So for large cities I think the message is clear- if you want to photograph in a reasonably unrestricted fashion you have to be prepared to operate handheld and your camera/film selection needs to reflect this. In most places there will be some opportunities for tripod photography and your choice is whether to go back to your hotel to pick up the gear. Some cities are easier to work with a tripod than NYC. Paris is a bit easier than NYC; London a bit easier, but in all big cities there will be restrictions on your activities (which may just be space) if you turn uo with equipment /film that requires tripod use.

Bring a light monopod and a sturdy table-top tripod, at the most. If I were going to walk around all day, I'd probably just take the table-top tripod. A real tripod in NYC is a mess to deal with - you're always getting permits, or getting told you can't have it, or not having enough space to set it up. Although I use my 3021 extensively in the city, I don't use it in touristy areas.

Also, be advised that if you do take a tripod, there are places that will want to charge you for using it, but won't tell you up front -- Battery Park City, for example. I think the fee is something like $50; I don't remember, exactly. I've used a monopod over there without problems.

If you can possibly go handheld, do it. A tripod is a pain and a huge inconvenience, and you'll regret lugging it around. A monopod can be useful -- after a bit of practice, I can take sharp photographs at 1/30 of a second with a 200mm lens, which is about 2 and a half stops better than handholding -- but I would still go handheld, if I had the option. I'm trying to drop my NPZ habit, which is getting expensive.

If I were you, I'd bring a few rolls of NPZ and some fast primes. You can always pick up a tripod at Adorama or B&H, both of which are conveniently located right here on Manhattan, should the need arise.

Other cities seem a lot less anti-tripod than NYC. I haven't had the same sort of problems in Seattle or Portland, for example.

You don't say what manufacture of camera that you have. Is it possible to rent, borrow, or steal VR or IS lens/es for your sojourn?

I don't have one yet, but hope to go that way soon. Presently I carry a CF Gitzo Mountaineer wherever practical, though NYC does not seem to be one of those places.

This is <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1098279&size=lg">an example of a picture taken from Empire State Building using a small Hama tripod</a>. I carried the tripod all day long in a backpack visiting museums, shops etc. during the day, taking it out of the bag in dusk. While that tripod was very light and flimsy it was definitely better than not to carry a tripod at all!

I carry a small Yashica/Bilora ST-7 table top tripod and short cable release which are pocketable. If you have time, then you can use the cameras self-timer in lieu of a cable release. Be sure to brace the base of the table pod against something solid with your hand. You can even use a wall or a telephone pole as support for the table pod this way.

I also have the Bogen/Manfrotto table pod, but rarely use it. It is a three piece affair that can be a bit slow to set up. It's nicely made though.

With regards to monopods, I saw someone at the New Orlean Jazz Fest use one take exposures from above the heads of the crowd by raising it like flag pole. It's pretty crowded at Jazz Fest. While I saw many photographers using monopods, I didn't see a single tripod.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

It is kind of interesting that I never use tripod in the City. I am looking for a tripod too because I will go to Block Island, RI next week and I need a good tripod. Consider my camera are only a $400 Nikon F and a $600 Coolpix, any tripod above $200 would sound ridiculous to me. Since we would take a train, I need a small tripod that can fit into my bagpack.

By all means, carry a tripod. It's really the only way to get pictures really sharp, particularly with slow film and small apertures. I usually carry mine by hand, but there are shoulder straps which will keep your hands free.

A lot of places - museums, churches and such - won't let you use a tripod. I have a bean bag from B&H (I forget the brand) with a screw which fits the tripod socket. I've had no problem using it (so far) and get nearly tripod-sharp indoor photos. The downside is you have to find a rail or column to use as a support, so the point of view is not optimal.

I have a Really-Right-Stuff right-angle bracket, with a tripod socket on both the bottom and side. That works well with the bean bag.

Well, a Leica doesn't normally need a tripod except for night shots (even mere mortals can get sharp pics at 1/15th), so maybe you could pick up an old IIIc or similar with a Summitar lens for a couple of hundred dollars? If you do want to take night shots, I find a tiny pocket tripod can usually be held against a wall, litter bin or similar. Digital cameras excel at night because they need relatively short exposures - no reciprocity failure.

Everytime I go fo an extended trip the same question comes back, shall I bring along the tripod?

Weight & size is a big consideration especially when most visit it rely on your own foot and tugging along a big bag of equipment and a heavy tripod is not a very desirable experience. Therefore though I have in many occasions the impulse to bring back a big and sturdy tripod I still abandon the idea in the last minute. I end up normally bringing a small tripod that don't take up much space and it is light weight. It functions though it is necessary to take extra attention. Depends on what equipment I take, if it includes biggest gun such as 200mm+ I will also bring a monopod that in most situation much more useable than a tripod.

I used a Cullmann 2741 monopod. Special about this is that it has no lock levers or nods to tighten when extending. Just twist anti-clockwise, extend and twist again closewise then it is in action. This is fast and secure and also it is easier to store or carry in the bag. The ball head is easy to control and very functional. I got it for about $60 and well worth it.

The tripod I use is a mini size Baron tripod (I can't trace its part number any more). Size wise is fine but the screw lock is really not that desirable as sometimes difficult to loosen after tighten. I am considering to get a Velbon 343 or 345 Max shortly later.

I think your decision to have a 70-200L F4 is wise. I have a f2.8 version but it is a bit heavier than I like and I find that I bring it out fewer than I would like. It will be better if I have a f4 version instead.