What's Your Favorite MF Nikkor Lense?

ray .

I'm thinking of adding a 50mm f/1.4 lens for my FM2n (have just a 24/

2.8 presently)... but aside from that, was wondering just out of

curiousity what Nikkor lenses are people's favorites.

What's your favorite manual focus Nikkor lens and why?

No need to worry if your functional needs pertain to mine or not, even

if I may never desire a particular focal length, I'm still interested

in what you like to use for the photography you do.

Thanks all.......

I think I get the most use out of my 35/1.4 AIS (I actually have two of them). That's my 'normal'. It's soft in the corners at 1.4, but most of what I shoot wide open isn't harmed by soft corners. From 2.0 on, it's a great lens. A fast 35mm is a real asset for low light photography, f/1.4 @ 30 opens up a lot of territory. I think 20/24/35 is a good progression of focal lengths in the wide end, if you're curious.

I'm just now (since Christmas) exploring Ellis' 105/1.8, and I'm impressed. When I get a few more miles on it, I might agree with him.

My favorite is the 35mm f1.4 and 105 f2.5 combination.

I dont have the expensive AF28mm f1.4 and I think 35mm f1.4 is the best alternate choice for indoor life photos. 105 f2.5 is light and small, producing pretty background look and can share same filters with 35mm f1.4.

I don't really have a single favorite. The lens that gets the most serious use is my 28mm f/3.5 PC-Nikkor for an architectural project and landscapes.

I use a 50/2 and 105/2.5 Nikkor about equally, 180/2.8 less often, but like 'em all about the same for people and general photography.

I love my 105/2.5 - It's just an incredible lens. Extremely sharp, the focus feel is just sooo buttery, I love how fine the focus is in the closer ranges (it's designed for closer portrait work - lots less throw in the 30+ foot range, but very, very accurate anywhere inside 10 feet.) I also use it for my main macro lens with tubes (and sometimes reversing lenses onto it). It was one of my less expensive lenses as well, cause there's so many of them! But, just got a new mf 24/2.8 which promises to be really fun too...

My 105 f2.5 is sharp edge-to-edge in 30-feet+ range even at f2.5. I think this lens isnt easy for me to manual-focus in 30-feet+ range. Every time I got a non-sharp photo from this lens shot at mid-distance I looked for where the focus is in the ground of the picture and it's always my focus error. :)

My two favorites are:

<p>105mm f/4 micro: It is lighter than the f/2.8 version and the focal length does not decrease when you focus on close subjects. It goes to 1:2 on its own and works well with the 3T and 4T diopters when you need to go smaller.

<p>135mm f/2: Having a medium telephoto that is this fast has been really useful for me. I also like the fact that it uses 72mm filters (the same size as for the 180mm f/2.8).

No one favorite, but I tend to use<p>

24mm f/2.8<p>

35mm f/1.4<p>

50mm f/1.8<p>

105mm f/2.5<p>

more often than any others.<p>

I also have the 20mm f/3.5 which I consider to be an excellent lens up close, but not that many situations arise where I need to use a 20mm lens.<p>The lens which I'm using the most recently is the 70-180mm f/4.5 - 5.6 Micro Nikkor zoom. Granted, it's an AF lens, but since I'm using it on an F3, it's used only in pure manual focus mode. It feels quite nice as a manual focus lens too. It's my current favorite, although not a true MF lens.