Crooked Quickloads

john_latta

This forum is one of the best sources of information I have found on

the web.

I have experienced misalingned exposures recently when using Fuji

Quickloads. Does anyone know what the cause is? Or the cure?

Attached is an example. A picture is worth a thousand words.<div>0055H9-12678584.jpg.2ab688fb4a6c211fdc5af5741f008e61.jpg</div>

This may or may not be pertinent, but I used to run into the same problems with conventional holders until just before inserting them, I tapped them down on my hand a few times to "settle" them if necessary. Never had a problem since. It is not within the realm of probability that even readloads can be adversely be affected by how they have been transported to the location where they are to used.

I took out a few readyloads that I am about to process and I can feel them moving around a bit in the septum. Give them a gentle tap and see if that improves the results. Good Luck.

Ellis - The holder is less than a year old and hasn't seen that much use. I have been careful to pull the sleeve without pulling it out at an angle.

Michael - The Quickloads have been carried in my pack quite a bit so it's possible the jostling that has occurred might have caused the misalignment. I have tried tapping the base of the 4 suspect Quickloads just now to hopefully realign the film. I'll repost later to let you know the outcome.

Thanks for your postings. In the meantime it would be good to know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

I think it is highly unlikely that the holder or film is at fault.

The sheets of film are weakly glued via some plastic to the metal

clip at the end of the QL packet. The metal clip is guided into

position at the base of the holder by internal guides. If you fully

insert a packet, pushing down hard on the paper outer, it is very

hard to see how the few mm misalignment could occur. Damaged packets

- e.g. failing glue?! - could result in failure. However, you have

perfectly exposed film, and I assume you haven't experienced failures.

Furthermore, the image is abruptly cut. Wonky film - even in regular

holders - should be exposed all the way to the edge (unless you've run

out of coverage :-) ). I would guess that the (rotating?) back of your

camera is out of alignment. You didn't say what camera you used, but

check the locks/catches carefully. If this is on a new holder/camera, check for obstructions. Something is rotating the QL holder

a few degrees clockwise...

• 2 weeks later...

After exposing some more sheets, which were tapped to ensure proper seating of the film in the sleeve, no additional problems were encountered. My hypothesis is that the gremlins got into the film when I was backpacking with the Q/L's in my pack. All the jiggling and wiggling must have occurred while hiking up and down several hilly trails out here in the west.

Thanks for your ideas. Case closed for now.

• 2 months later...