Steady 600f4 platform.

jerome_smith

I have a question concerning my current tripod/ballhead combo.

I just bought a 600f4 (all 13 lbs of it) for bird photography and

wonder whether my Bogen 3021 and Arca B1 (which was great for a

300f2.8 plus TC's) is adequate. Should I consider a Gitzo 1325CF?

Change heads? Change both? Due to some back problems, total weight is

of concern. Are the Gitzo CF's, at about the same weight (but at 5X

the price) a dramatic improvement in steadiness? It would be great if

some of you who use, or have used, my combo could give hands on

experience.

Many thanks.

I have the exact comb for my 600mm f4.0 and have never had a problem. However, I also have a Gitzo 410 tripod & Arca Swiss B1G ballhead. The larger & heavier tripod & ballhead is simply put, better. There is better suppor & mass which will give a sharper image. However sometimes I need the smaller & lighter combo.

I would also suggest buying the "scope pack". It is approx. $140.00 and carries the 600mm lens with camera body attatched. You would have to carry the tripod in you hands or strap it to the exterior of the "scope pack". This method is good for transporting but you will still have to carry the combo in the field, hopefully for short distances.

The 3021 in't enough tripod for a 600/4. The 1325 is marginal if it's windy and you have the legs fully extended. I've used a 1325 to support a 600/4, but I think a 15xx series Gitzo CF would be better.

The B1 is adequate, but a Wimberly would be the head of choice especially for moving subjects. Again I've shot with a 600/4L on

a B1 and 1325 and it's an OK combination but not a perfect choice. For a 500/4.5L (which is 1/2 the weight of the 600/4L), a B1 and 1325 is just fine.

Upgrading your tripod should be the first priority, then decide if you want to upgrade the head later.

Bob is correct, the 3021 won't do the trick, I use and really like a

1548 CF and a B2 head, I also have a 3021 and a B1 which I

only use for smaller lenses. I tried using the B1 with the 600 and

damaged the head. Arca recommends against using it and

would not cover via warantee repair although some folks get by

quite well with it. I believe Arthur Morris has a solution to the

problem involving fabricating a Rubber protector to eliminate the

ball head flop. Good luck

I have the Canon 400 f/2.8 IS, similar in weight and size to the 600 f/4. I gave up on ball heads because of the lens flop issue. Perhaps I never really learned how to use them correctly. It seems to me that the wimberly concept is far superior. Personally I purchased the Kirk version (I forget the name) and am very pleased. Bogen makes one that I owned before...now that's a piece of junk. Do not..do not...do not buy the bogen long lens bracket. The carriage is too high above the center of gravity therefore can do nothing but flop. They try to cover by suggesting you hang the lens upside down (cop out). They need to simply design it correctly.

By the way, if you do use one of the suggested lens support heads (Wimberly or Kirk) paired with IS technology, does anyone still use the long lens support that attaches from the tripod leg to the back of the camera? Is this still necessary because it sure is inconvenient.

The B1 is very well suited for the weight of a 600/4L. With excessive weight it will stand strong as the joints on the CF crumble. I use my B1 with a 400/2.8 and used it with my 600/4 as well. Most people just don't know how to properly use the B1. AS will provide warranty as long as it's being used at/under the recommended max weight capacity (which is FAR more than a 600/4 w/body) I use a 410 which I find very adequate. The 1548 CF is only 2.5 times the cost of a 410, not bad if weight is a serious issue. Try pulling your equipment to your shooting spot on a 2-wheeled cart and save your back for more important things. Good luck.

As a prelude, let me point out that I get my bird photos published whenever I want and pretty much wherever I want (and, indeed, dodge opportunities to publish more, one of the drawbacks of being a software engineer these days).

The Bogen 3021 is not adequate for your 600/4. Like you, I found it fine for my 300/2.8, though I felt it was quite dodgy with the 2x. In other words, marginal but workable.

Personally, I use the 1348 and it is fine. The 15xx series CF 'pods from Gitzo would be better, but I didn't feel like waiting at the time , and the 15xx series was introduced about a year after I bought my 1348. Indeed, I actually suffered for about a year waiting for the 13xx series to be introduced. Hmmm...in that period, I used my Bogen 3021 and took many photos which have since sold. Still, that was of necessity since I didn't want to invest in a Gitzo metal tripod (which I find user-unfriendly). I think the CF series is more user friendly, with double-wide lock collars and much less tendency to lock up (I have a metal, small Gitzo which is almost unusable). The 1348 I bought is a dream, perfect for my needs.

Hi, this is all interesting discusion, being a non US resident, I have to contend with Manfrotto part numbers. Is the 3021 equivalent to my Manfrotto #055B?

I have found using my #055B with B1 and 500mm+1.4x+extension tube for up close small birds, vibation is really noticable. I pulled my tripod down for a clean up recently and found the leg clamps are showing some wear. The sides are not parallel and what appears to be a lining material seems to wearing away. The tripod is about 10 years old. My questions: has this tripod passed the use by date (at least for long teles)? will the 3025 Gitzo be a noticable improvement? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your responses--they were all really very helpful. The concensus of opinion seems to be that the Bogen 3021 (Chris...I don't know if the 055B is the Manfrotto equivalent) is too light for a 600f4 lens and needs to be upgraded. There was a difference of opinion on the minimum Gitzo CF needed; the 1325 vs. the 1348 vs. the 1548. Generally, the feeling is that the Arca B1 is adequate, although the Wimberly would be better. After steadiness, my most important consideration was total weight. For those interested, a combo/weight (in pounds) comparison is as follows:

****************************ArcaB1QS*********Wimberly******************

Bogen..3021.........................................7.5..........................9.5..........................................

...........3036.......................................11.5.........................13.5.........................................

Gitzo..1325.........................................6.2...........................8.2..........................................

..........1329.........................................7.0............................9.9..........................................

..........1548.........................................8.1..........................10.1..........................................

..........1549.......................................10.0..........................12.0..........................................

For the record, based upon your responses (and the above chart) I've decided to stay with the Arca B1 for now and upgrade to the 1325/1329 CF. At 6.2/7.0 lbs. it's lighter than my current rig and apparently satisfactory (though not ideal.) We'll see what happens.

Thanks again.