Dust in the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S

rudymerz

Hi,

As I got my 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S I saw some dust in the lens.

You see it at best when the sun shines in and you move the zoom from

24 up. I have this lens now since 1-2 month and have the feeling that

there is now more dust in the lens. Did somebody else made the same

experience ?

Thanks

Styx

Every speck of dust degrades the image some. Where and how much is the question. If you lose 1% in contrast and resolution does it matter? No. Some lenses are very susceptible to flare and ghost if the sun strikes dust on the front element or filter, these need to be kept very clean.

In perspective I�m pretty picky and I�ve open only one lens due to internal dust, a 24/2.8 AI Nikkor. The aperture blades shed so much that contrast was off and visible even in the camera�s finder. The aperture blades had excessive coating when new but It�s never needed cleaning again in more than 20 years. I guess I�ve had more than 70 different Nikkor lenses over the years. I don�t recommend amateur lens repair, only remove whole groups in barrels not elements or cemented elements and don�t mess with zooms.

Mostly you just ignore dust knowing that it has little or most likely no practical effect. Zooms are often more susceptible to dust especially if they are of the push pull type. One guy posting here at PHOTO.NET returned three Leitz lenses due to dust. He�s either still doing it or has given up or had his money refunded by a disgusted merchant. If you know how to look you will find some dust in most any lens even fine lenses including enlarging lenses in sealed barrel mounts.

If your lens has a lot of dust it could have the same problem as my 24/2.8, more likely it�s the usual fact of life dust and needs no attention. Shine a bright light through the lens if it�s looks clear with some dust it doesn�t matter. If it looks hazy or like someone is trying to simulate a black dot filter it may need service. Judging by my experience there is a 70:1 chance that it does not need service.

Hope this helps,

Alex, The Macman,

Actually I am not concerned about the dust in the lens.

I am more concerned about the answers in this board.

If you don't have to add something productive, keep it to you.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Styx

Ruediger, you brought this onto yourself by buying a zoom lens. For your imagined ideal dust-free world and lens, you must from now on only buy/use internal focus primes. They suck no air since they do not expand; hence no additional dust will appear inside.

Otherwise, live with it; everyone else does. And nobody's pictures are any worse for a speck of dust ...

Also be very careful when looking into the lens at the "sun shining in"; your eyesight is more precious to you than you would believe. Take care and good pictures now!

And please do not swear at those who mock you a bit. Humour is the best medicine ... Take your dose as a man ... Cheers.

I'm just saying that dust doesn't matter as long as they don't influence picture

quality. I know that in theory every single dust particle does have an influence

but the lens doesn't focus on them, it focuses elsewhere hence they only

leave halos on shots and in most cases such halos cannot be noticed by most

human eyes.... You don't know yet, so don't worry yet. This is why I'm saying

shoot first and see later. And yes, my advice is very productive.

Sorry for the confusion guys, I think I did not make myself clear enough. I am not concerned about dust in the lens. I am concerned how fast it adds up. My 17-35 f/2.8 AF-S has no dust at all, and I use this lens since 2 years. And yes, I 100% agree with Macman. Dust is irrelevant unless you see it on the image. I am more concerend with the dust on on the CCD on my D1 and D100. I just ask myself is this a construction error or just the drawback of a 'cheap' lens.

Which is actually a great performer. As you can see on some of my images.

Thanks

Styx

Reading posts from a dedicated digital photography forum, this particular lens does have a construction problem. Most users of this lens (atleast in the forum) complain about dust issue.