Copal/Wista self cocking shutter

steve_williams3

I recently purchased a used Fujinon 125 W f5.6 lens from KEH. I had

one of these before and really liked the lens. The thing came with a

Copal 0 shutter that is commonly used with copy cameras like the

Polaroid MP-3. It is self cocking and when the preview level opens

the lens it always is wide open no matter where you set the

aperture. The only way to preview depth of field is to open the

shutter on the "B" setting----then you can use the aperture control.

The minimum aperture is 45 and the shutter speeds range from 1/125 to

B. All seems to function well.

My question is: Are the self cocking shutters reliable? I can still

return this thing and find one with a conventional shutter. I have

used it, the lens is sharp and everything functions fine. And I

think I can adjust to the "B" thing.

thanks,

steve

There's certainly nothing wrong with using self cocking copy camera shutters- it's by far the cheapest way to acquire a modern, and highly reliable shutter.

As the previous poster indicated, they are somewhat more inconvenient than using a normal shutter because of the need to use a cable release and constantly having to switch to the bulb setting in order to focus on the ground glass, then reset to the proper shutter speed when ready to shoot. And of course you are limited to a top shutter speed of 1/125th sec. However this is far less inconvenient than using an old, gummed up, unreliable shutter. Also it being self cocking means you can work faster once you're ready to shoot

As far as the lens goes, I own a Fuji 125mm W lens (in a normal copal shutter) and it is by far the sharpest lens I own. I see no reason that you should regret your purchase.

Steve,

Self cocking shutters are very useful if you would like to split up your exposure into several parts. For instance, if there is a strong wind, you could split up exposure into two or three steps, in between the worst gusts, thereby avoiding unsharpness to blurring (of grass, leaves etc.).

It is much more difficult to do this with cocking shutters, since the cocking tends to dislocate the camera slightly.

This has already been discussed by our prophet, Ansel Adams, in one of his books.

"it's by far the cheapest way to acquire a modern, and highly reliable shutter."

No it is a more expensive way.

If you buy new Rodenstock lenses they normally come in a Copal 0, 1 or 3 shutter.

Optionally you can order lenses in Copal Press 0 or 1 shutter for a surcharge of about

$95.00 over the cost in Copal 0 or 1.

Or you can order lenses in Rollei Linear Motor 0 or 1 shutters for several times this Copal

Press surcharge.

For film photography the Press shutter is flawed by its lack of higher shutter speeds for

many users and its added vibration internally (not the Rollei shutter).

For digital back users the Press Shutter may be a necessity.

Bob,

I am curious about your remarks concerning internal vibration. Are you suggesting that this vibration will adversely affect image sharpness as it would be percieved in a print? As I use the lens I don't detect any short of motion that I would consider affecting the image, certainly nothing like the mirror "thump" of a Pentax 6x7.

The fastest shutter speed of 1/125 is not a problem for me. I can't remember the last time I shot anything with a view camera over that speed. Long exposures are more the norm for me.

thanks,

steve

I use Copal Press shutters with a Wista VX for portraits, and they seem very reliable. Wista makes a cable that links the camera back to the shutter, to automatically open/close the shutter when the film holder is removed/inserted. The cable also connects the sliding roll film back to the shutter. This setup allows shifting from focusing (wide open) to exposure in a few seconds -- a real advantage for portraits.

Steve,

A press shutter uses the energy of the blades when fired to recock the shutter. This

inherently has 2 problems. First the energy generated is not high enough to cock the

shutter at higher speeds. Secondly this results in more vibrations inside the shutter then

with standard Copal or Compur shutters. Assuming, of course, you pause before shooting

the Copal or Compur to let any vibrations your hand caused to settle down.

There is also a further drawback to the Copal Press system.

that is the angle the cable release must be attached in order to fire the camera.

With a Copal Press the firing mecanism of the cable release must enter at a 90° angle and

needs a very long throw.

This makes it impossible, for instance, to attach any type of cable release, using any type

of right angle, flexible connector or U adapter, to a Copal Press in a recessed board like

either a Technika 45 board or the larger M679 lens board.

On flat boards or very large recessed boards this is not a problem. But on smaller recessed

boards we have found that the shutter essentially can not be fired with a release.

This becomes critical when trying to use the shutter with some digital backs that

synchronize the firing of the shutter to the operation of the back.

None of these problems existed with the now out of production Prontor Professional self-

cocking system. But then that was a much more expensive shutter.

Thanks for the clarification Bob. For me the cable release attachment angle is a non-issue in the configuration I am using. And shooting landscapes I can certainly let the shutter stop shaking before making an exposure.

I will hold on to lens and shutter and not ship it back.

thanks,

steve