Curious question about M6 TTL

Hi all,

I am wondering that if I really need to switch the knob to "off""

position when I don't take a pic. The reason I am asking this

because I also have Nikon FM2 and look like their main function are

similar except M6 TTL has an "off" position (both of them need to

wind the film advance level to activate the light meter and of course

to shoot ;-)). I don't have any problem of battery drainage with FM2

(I got FM2 7 years ago and never change its batteries).

Thank you very much in advance for your input. Tuan

Not sure about the M6 since I don´t own one. But the Fm2 has a lock that when the wind lever is "closed" to the body, there is a lock preventing the shutter release going down and activating the meter, if I´m not mistaken the M6 lacks this kind of prevention.

The battery in my Nikon FE will last for years, unless the wind lever is left out, away from the locked position next to the body, then it will drain in a few hours if wound or not. I think the only way the battery in my M6 (not TTL) will drain is if it is wound and there was constant pressure on the shutter release.

The manual for my three year old 0.72 M6TTL says, "If the camera is stored in a bag or left unused for some time, the shutter speed dial should be set to "B". The exposure meter is then switched off."

However, the manual came with a correcting insert page saying: "If the camera is stored in a bag or left unused for some time, the shutter speed dial MUST be set to "off". This is valid even with released shutter. Only this setting switches off the light meter and the camera's circuitry."

The manual for my brand new 0.58 M6TTL states the same as the insert.

My first set of batteries went dead quite soon after I got the older M6TTL. They were new when installed. I conclude the failure was due to my being sloppy about not setting the dial to "off".

Tuan hoang, it is different, and/or simpler. If you have an M6 TTL, and it is ON, and you do not use it, you do not have to do anything. That means that if you put it on the shelf and do not use it for even months, nothing will happen and there is no battery drainage. There is ONLY battery drainage when you press the shoot button. OR, if you put your camera in a bag and the button can be or will be pressed without you noticing it. In this case, you should, of course, yes, turn the switch to OFF.

I agree with John Collier. I try always to remember to turn the shutter dial to 'OFF' whenever I store the M6TTL camera in its bag, because otherwise any pressure on the shutter release button will result in battery drain, whether or not the shutter is cocked.

I understand that the early M6TTLs had a battery drain problem but that's obviously no longer the case. For what it's worth, I have two M6TTLs, which I bought new about 18 months ago and which are both still operating perfectly with their original (lithium) batteries. I carry spare batteries, against the day when I'll inevitably have to change them, but heaven knows when that will be. Thank goodness lithium batteries have a very long shelf-life!

I want to add to my response posted above. I keep my M6TTLs in Leica leather cases. Today I noticed a clear indentation in one case where the shutter release button meets the top inside of the case. Thus, it could be that my batteries were drained simply by buttoning up the case with the shutter dial ON, putting pressure on the release button. It doesn't take much pressure to activate the meter. For me, then, I'm going to try to remember to turn the dang things OFF when I'm through shooting and put the camera away.