shot a roll of Provia 400. The lens is very sharp and compares well

with the 28-70 f2.8 -- except for the speed of course. The AF is

fast and the lens is very light. The manual focus option -- even

with AF -- is nice. If you can live with a slower lens this lens is

just wonderful. I like shooting in this focal range and tend to be

at f8 as often as possible. This lens on the F100 is a wonderful and

verstaile combination that is light on the shoulder and reasonable on

the pocket book.

I've only heard good things (optically) about the 24-85 though the very odd 67mm

diameter proves to be a barrier for myself. I'm looking forward to the 24-120 AFS VR

f 3.5-5.6 as it is supposed to be optically similar to the 24-85mm in fact it seems

like the 24-120 is more like a second generation 24-85 (the inexpensive AFS,

cosmetics, focal range).

How does it (the 24-85mm) handle dim conditions?

To respond:

The lens handles dim situations very well with my F100 and focuses quickly.

I have not noticed a problem with straight lines and included this in my test.

The odd filter size is a drawback, I agree. I will be interested to see the 24-120 but doubt I will buy it. the 24-85 is so small and light and I don't often use filters for what I do. I generally put a UV filter on for protection and leave it at that. From time to time I use a polarizer and would probably choose a different lens because I have a 77mm polarizer.

I would welcome other reactions to this new lens.

This is a fine lens. I have it as well as the 28-70 AF-S. When I want to travel light, I bring the 24-85. As it has been discussed recently, some barrel distortion is not a big deal in most situations; unless you have some straight lines near the edge of the image as reference points, distortion is not noticable.

I have a 77-to-67 step down ring to use my 77mm filters on it.

I also am waiting for the new 24-120 VR. I'm just worried that the distortion will be really pronounced at the wide end which makes me hesitant to pay over $500.00. Maybe I'm better off getting a 28-105 and a fixed 24mm. Have any of you thought of this? I mainly shoot landscapes and nature so a fast lense is not an issue.

I hope it's better than the 28-80G, and it would almost have to be. I agree with a previous poster who said the barrel distortion with that lens was laughable. I would add the pincushion distortion as well. It made it totally unusable for anything but snapshots, as far as I'm concerned. I'm lucky I was able to get rid of it and the 70-300G, although I feel bad for the poor guy who ends up with them.