ECF with glasses

harryo

I've been having problems calibrating the eye control focus on my EOS

3 when wearing glasses. Seems to work just fine without glasses. My

glasses have an anti-reflection coating on them. Is there anyone else

out there who has glasses with anti-reflective coating that has

successfully calibrated ecf?

thanks harry

I doubt it. As you probably know, the problem is the anti-reflection coating does its job too well and reflects IR from the emitters while calibrating. In other words, it can't track your eye movements. You might consider a diopter instead. I use a -3 diopter and calibration works perfectly on my EOS 3.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I've managed to calibrate the ECF on my Eos 50 with an anti-reflective coating on my glasses, but my camera only uses three focus points, not the forty five which yours has. I've also found that the ECF works fine with a fast lens (50mm f1.4) but is really erratic with my cheapo zooms (F4 and slower) unless it is a very bright day.

I use my EOS3 with glasses, and magnetic clip-on sunglasses sometimes. I don't know if they have a reflective coating (I'm guessing they don't, but they are shiny), but I can ECF through the sunglasses pretty well. I've got the EC-D eyecup, it helped a bit with glasses. only annoyance is moving it for vertical/horozontal, but I can do that with my right thumb. has to come off to open the film door. small price to pay.

I have ocassional problems with my self darkening glasses and my 5 in bright sunlight - I'm not sure why this should be as I wouldn't think the pigment would stop the beam. If I take off my specs the problem goes away.

My glasses are anti-reflective coated, and I have no real problems with my ECF on my EOS 3. Once in a while I have trouble getting it to focus on the side points, but nothing major. I calibrated a few times, and then sat in my living room and focused away for awhile (I heard that the ECF has a program that "learns" your eye, and gets better with time)

I wear a very strong eyeglass prescription on "high index" Nikon glass. ECF has always been "bang on" with my wife's Elan 7E. It was not consistant enough to use it on my EOS3 until I had the firmware upgraded. Since then, it is a lot more reliable, however not as "bang on" as the Elan 7E.

Good luck

<p>My Elan 7e has no problem with my naked eyes. With my old glasses (which didn't have an anti-reflective coating), I couldn't get it to calibrate reliably with either eye. Haven't tried it with my new glasses (with anti-reflective coating), as I prefer to shoot without glasses anyway.</p>

Works for me, with -3.75 diopter, polycarbonate, antireflective-coated glasses.

Given everything I have seen read and heard, glasses do decrease the chances that the eye-control will work for you, but the biggest factor appears to be one's own personal eyeball. :-)

Note, I also use Eyecup ED-E (the Big Honking Eyecup).