eternal �which lens do I get next?� I was doing some shooting to

demonstrate some perspective variations that can be accomplished with

a simple two-lens outfit (in this case a 35mm and 85mm pairing) and

posted an example in the folder at the link below. While it is a

Nikon pair, the same basic effect could be just as easily pulled off

with a Leica and 35mm and 90mm, or a 28mm and 75mm, or any similarly

spaced pair.<P>

This is NOT about static field of view, but perspective� how the

subject in rendered in relation to the other elements in the frame.

I moved to keep a the central element the same scale for both shots,

and you can see how the other elements are either emphasized or

subordinated.<P>

This might be of interest to someone that is using a single lens and

is contemplating the purchase of another lens to compliment that one.

<P>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?

presentation_id=201091"> link </a>

I really think that Jay is one to something! Although I love using my Leicas, I must admit that I have a problem with rangefinder �viewing�, and visualization � A) When shooting at focal lengths longer than 35 mm, I am distracted my the image outside of the frame lines. B) When shooting with a 90mm or longer, I have a hard time visualizing what the shot is going to look like perspective wise, using just that SMALL frame and the < 1.00 magnification of the M2/M4 finder.

<p>

I have an old Zeiss turret finder with lengths from 28mm to 135mm. I think that I�ll start using that one more and see if it helps.

Al, this is again one of your best postings. <i>But...</i> I still see the following problem/dilemma -- which is <i>not</i> your fault:

<p>35mm and 90mm make a great pair, and 28mm and 75mm do too, but I sometimes think that this idea ends up forcing some of us Leicologists here to decide too much on apertures. E.g. the 2/90A is too big for some of us, so is the 75, a 1.4/28 isn't here yet, neither is a 2/75...

The typical working photographer, shooting news or events, is far less concerned with perspective considerations than with grabbing the proper camera/lens to fit everything in (21 or 35?) or getting just what's required in the scene (90 or 135?), from whatever shooting place you're forced to be. Perspective considerations are much more likely to come up in more casual circumstances.

Al, I doubt that the working photographer has time to spend on a forum like this. The casual photographer has and he/she is learning lessons from posts like this one here, the pro may unfortunately have been forced to forget.

Technically (and pedantically) speaking - the "perspective difference" does NOT come from the lenses, but from the fact that you CHANGED POSITION to keep the primary subject size the same, plus the difference in field of view. True perspective is linked to viewing position alone.

Shoot from the same spot with both lenses, crop the 35 image to match the 85 framing, and you'll see the 'perspective' (relationship between things in the picture) will be identical in both shots.

But we all use 'perspective' as short-hand for 'wide/narrow field of view effects' so we know what you mean - and your example is a good one.

<I>But we all use 'perspective' as short-hand for 'wide/narrow field of view effects' so we know what you mean...</I><P>

Andy, I thought I was clear (2nd paragraph) this is <B>ALL</B> about moving and then putting a frame around it... not field of view as a static function of lens choice. I didn't mean the perspective change comes from the lens, but the position. Sorry if I was not as clear as I thought.

<i>

Jay, I would have thought that the Leica internal viewfinder would show the most accurate perspective at 28mm and lease accurate at 90 or 135, since, in effect, the internal viewfinder gives a wideangle view, no?

</i>

<p>

Perspective is determined by your position, not focal length. The viewfinder gives equally correct perspective for all focal lengths, since no other perspective is possible.

Hmmm... I would say: The internal viewfinder gives equally *incorrect* perspective for all focal lengths due to the parallax error. This may be perceived as more crucial with longer lenses, though, since the foreground/subject/background alignment error may definitely spoil the whole composition. An external viewfinder (just for composition) placed right above the lens will help a bit - at least in "landscape" mode, i.e. for horizontal shots. ÷