Roll film backs

dmhorne

I have the older Calumet 4x5, which I think is a 400 series. I just got a used Calumet 6x7 roll film back on ebay. It works very nicely. It does have the film bending around one roller 360 degrees, and I have been advised to shoot a roll up pretty fast so the film doesn't develop some warp, affecting the film plane in that spot. I think the Calumet back is one of the least expensive backs. Also, some of the other ones require taking out the ground glass to use. I like that mine just slides in like a film holder. Test shots were very sharp.

just curious. I purchased a 4x5 camera at a very cheap price from a friend and it's an old calumet and i'm trying to place it (i won't receive it until the middle of next week). Does the 400C have a rotating back? I'd asked him about the camera and he used it--moved to digital medium format backs--but never cared about the particulars of what it was as he already knew how to use it (he got it used). He just told me the specifics about the camera and he said you can rotate the back from vertical to horizontal and vice versa without removing it from the camera.