Shutter speed tester

alpshiker

Great! Thanks for your feedback. I was told in november that it was not available until january. Then they told me to watch the availability from their website, what I have done until now... I'll try place an order if their policy is to get them on orders.

Paul,

Look in the archives for plans for building a shutter tester. It uses a freeware program and your computer, and a cheap laser pointer. It's very simple to build, ( 3 or 4 componets), soldered together. I built mine for under $10.00 buying the parts from Radio Shack. The solder was $3.00 of the total. I put the tester in a small cardboard box I had on hand, 2 x 3 x 3 inches. I later added a small on/off switch. The laser pen I borrowed from my son. The freeware program goes 3 or 4 places to the right of the decimal.

The only drawback is that in order to use the tester, I have to be at my computer at home. I test my lenses every so often, and have a piece of tape on the lens cap with the actual speeds written on it for lenses that are 1/3 or more out of time.

Dee, yep I had seen the posts about this home built device. I'm sure I would have gone through the hassle a few years ago but I am now struggling to find the time to replace a bellows that I have received more than a month ago and to simply take a day off on the beaten tracks once in a while. Not to mention reorganizing my office, sorting my slides, fixing my car and a few dozen tasks the like! It seems that I am running out of time! But thanks, others may benefit.