get a filter stuck in front of a nikkor lens!

giorgio_bianchi

Hi , I recently purchase an old nikon fm, it cames with a 50mm f1.8

nikkor lens that has an Hoya skylight filter stuck in front of it!!.

I dismanteled the lens, so to have the front piece out of it, and

tried to take out the filter... but no succes! :(

Any suggestion??

Really don't wnat to break the filter... it's in good shape!

GB

Is it threaded correctly?

If YES, and it's just tight, then you can use a homemade friction screwdriver (hard rubber glued to the end of a wooden dowel).

If NO, then take it to a camera shop and let them deal with it.

1) "dismanteled the lens" now it needs re-colunated! So it needs to go to a repair shop.

2) Tiffen and Hoya use aluminum filter rings which gauld. B&W use brass which doesn't gauld!

Pressing a filter down into a hard rubber mat is one way to attempt removal. If this and other suggested methods won't remove it, sacrificing the filter is your only choice. This is best done by somebody with some experience.

Ok, here I am. Well I tell you I used a kind of table top wrench! uhm forcing it a bit... and nothing. Yes it seems to be threated correctly, as far as I can see, but it may have stayed there untouched for some years I think. Thats why it doesn't screw out with very little pressure as with some others filters. When I said I dismanteled the lens, I meant I screwed out the front metal cilinder of this lens, where the filter is attached, I didn't touch the glasses! By the way, I konw B+W filters have some nice features... but they are hard to find in here... and they cost some more!

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will send the lens to some camera shop, and I'm seeing the filter breaking down :(

I have a problem with my stepping ring getting caught on my fairly prized filters. I unfortunately have a grip that isn't strong enough to remove the filters, so I have to swallow my pride and leave it to a nice strong male with large hands like my father or boyfriend to come along and unscrew the threads.

My dad places the entire stuck together filter/lens combo in the refrigerator for an hour to make the metal contract, which eases the attempts to unscrew them. After getting them unscrewed, he injected a thin film of silicon onto the metal threads (you can buy this at hardware stores) to ease the threads from getting stuck again.

On the other hand, the skylight filter is only worth a couple of dollars (I have a 43mm Hoya skylight myself). It might hurt to break it but it's easily replaced. I'd be more worried about breaking the lens with jarring movements or such!

Take care!

...hmm, i hate it when that happens

Try placing the lens in your refrigerator for a short while - long enough for the differing metals to contract - and the filter will turn easily

Works for me

e_

I had two step-up rings stuck together, and couldn't budge them for anything, and the idea above, pressing one down on a rubber mat while turning did the trick (and I learned this from photo.net). Personally, I'd take a filter off with diagonal cutters before I'd dismantle a lens- sorta like disassembling the engine to get the oil cap off.

Ok, finally it came out! :) . I tell you: I tried the refrigerator, the rubber surface, a table-top wrench... with no succes. Today I went to a camera shop of confidence, and they couldn't pull it out with the filter wrenchs, until a guy with the only help of his know-how-to-do-it hands and a rubber surface pulled it out. It's still a mistery to me how it works...

Thanks again for your suggestions! I'll find some silicon to help the next time it will get stuck. Though I think filter get more chance to get stucked on the lens when you leave it so much time in front of it, Is it right?

GB

Please folks take care when considering the above advice because some of it is IMXO :) rather risky. I have yet to meet my match with a filter though I once had to cut a damaged lens hood from a 52mm L37c. I�d explain how but if some try the same method and fail they might have to shoot themselves. I�ve found that almost always finesse works better than brute force.

In the case of the two part HN-26 lens hood for the 62mm Nikon Circular Polarizing filter I�ve found that almost *any* squeezing of the outer ring deforms it and locks it fast to the inner section but an extremely gentile or is that gentle :) I can�t spell worth a damn :( touch unlocks them with ease. Figuring the first time I really get them stuck I�ll have only seconds not minutes to get them unlocked I bought two hoods and "lost" the outer ring for one. I tried a little dab of Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease (silicone) and it really didn�t help anymore than nose grease. Nose grease, and I�m not kidding, is much easier to remove from a glass filter and it�s readily available and free.

Take great care when installing filters on the new plastic AF lenses. Filters rarely if ever get stuck on these but cross-threading is a real danger. The attachment threads on most of these lenses, even $1,000.00 lenses are plastic. Yuk!

• 4 years later...
Taking a cue from brass music performers, who must remove resistant valve caps from their instruments, wrap the rougher inside surface of a waist leather belt firmly (but gently) around the entire circumference of the filter and, while holding the tension on the belt stable, rotate the belt counterclockwise. Only a mechanical disjunction of the conjoined parts of filter to lens can resist such a force.

• 2 months later...

Just to add to the possible solutions. As I read through this, I was trying a handful of the suggestions and found a solution that worked for me.

I had a 77mm HOYA UV with a circular polarizer attached to it. Since the polarizing filter turns on it's own it made it difficult to even get a grip on the small edge to turn.

Eventually I tried the rubber surface trick (the back of my mousepad) and turned the filters upside down so the polarizing filter was touching the surface. It took just enough pressure to keep the polarizer from spinning freely and the the filters came right apart.

This post saved me some major bucks. Thanks All!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

<p>Thank you to everyone who answered the question regarding filters stuck together. I read all of the responses and tried the lenses in the frig and the rubber mat to hold them after. I worked themon the mat then gently moved them with my fingers. I had two sets that were stuck and it worked on both. Took a total of 20 minutes in the freezer and VIOLA!!!!!<br>

Thanks again, John from Ponce Inlet, Fl.</p>

• 1 month later...