Steve Grimes

donald_miller1

Everytime I pull out the lenses that Steve CLA'd and fabricated lenscaps for me or use his ring wrench, I will think fondly of a man that was kind, sincere and as honest and reputable as was humanly possible. Whatever denomination you aspire to, I am sure that we can all agree that Steve is in a very good place. I am pleased that I can say that our paths crossed. He was a gem. All my best to his family.

This is very sad news for me. I just received a modified lensboard from Steve a few days ago. As I'm sure everyone here knows, he was a man of true integrity, sincerity in his work and treated everyone with respect. He helped me many times with questions and problems and showed great patience with my questions and requests. Without sounding overly dramatic, may Steve be remembered for the legend he really was. We will all miss him.

Don Bryant

it saddens me to think that the last time i saw and spoke with steve grimes will

be the last time i see and speak with steve. he was quite a guy, and will

surely be missed.

i live in rhode island about 20 mins from steve's shop. i have to say that i am

one of the lucky people who actually got a chance to meet him in person.

when i think of him, it brings a smile to my face because of his kindness and

all out helpfulness in all types of situations.

a few months ago i happened to find a portrait lens but to use it, i needed

steve to make me one of his funky lens mounts. i called him up, drove to his

shop. we chatted a little bit, and i left the camera and lens there for him and

his staff to do their magic. in a week or so it was ready for me to pick up, so i

loaded the car with my wife and kids ( who needed to be driven about 20 mins

for their daily nap - kids that is, not wife :) ) and it was beginning to blizzard. i

got to steve's building, went up the freight elevator and was greeted by a

smile by steve and his staff. they pulled out the camera mounted the lens,

and could see that i was quite the satisfied customer -

we chatted a little bit, i remembered about the wife and kids and realized that

it was time to leave. i loaded the camera and lens into a big box they

provided, and headed towards freight elevator --- it was stuck on the first

floor. steve promptly guided me through his shop, and we proceeded to

descend down the steep narrow back stairwell. i got down a little ways, and

steve could see that i kind of needed a little help. he smiled, and told me that

he was very used to the steps, and their steepness &c and gladly brought my

box-of-goodies down the rest of the stairs, out into the snowy parking lot and

even into the back of the car. he said hello to my wife, smiled, and went off to

climb the back stairs to his shop to continue working.

he was definitely one of a kind, a great craftsman, sincere and honest man,

and a really nice guy. every time i use one of my portrait lenses, i'll think

fondly of him.

...ouch. Like others, I had hoped for better news. He did several shutters for me, and we commiserated back and forth by email about the vagaries of governments and the joys of small business. Like his work, staightforward, ernest in his feelings. It is said the greatest gift one can offer another is the gift of one's time, the one commodity that is irreplaceable. It would seem Steve found enough time for all and then some in a too short life. May we all be so generous of spirit in our time. Hail and farewell, sir.

I feel like this thread is the large format community all signing a world-wide sympathy card for Steve's family and friends, which is only fitting as Steve Grimes is basically the patron saint of LF shooters everywhere.

Without his help I probably would have given up on ULF before I really got started. I had an old Dagor (in barrel) for my even older 12x20 and I really needed it to be in a shutter to do what I wanted to do. Money was tight at the time, and Steve said he could mount the lens in front of an old #4 shutter for me. He was honest upfront that he didn't know if it would cover or not, but this was the most affordable option, so I went for it. Well, I got the lens back (and he did a great job, of course) but much to my disappointment it didn't cover the corners. By now I had a lot of money in the camera, the lens, the shutter job, the holders, etc... and I still couldn't take a photo with it. I was THIS close (fingers held a half inch apart) to giving up on ULF and selling the whole kit to finance a new 4x5, which at least I could use right away. I called Steve and explained my predicament, and he said to send the mounted lens back and he would put the amount I had already paid him towards re-mounting it in a Betax #5 (which, although costlier, would definitely work). I couldn't believe it - I figured I'd have to cover the whole new shutter job from scratch, as most of the cost of the previous work had been Steve's labor. Well, he did as promised (of course) and that giant old refurbished #5 worked perfectly (of course). Still does after several years, and the speeds still test out right, too. I'm so glad I opted to have him do it the right way... not only do I have a great lens/shutter on my camera, but I have a piece of Steve's elegant work. Forever. I'll never sell it.

Look up "Master Craftsman" in the dictionary and you'll see a photo of Steve Grimes. Funny thing - look up "Gentleman" and you'll see the same picture.

Best wishes,

Too rarely it seems, there are people who come into our lives, either socially or through business, and when they pass away leave us sadden but also with a feeling of gratitude that we were able to know such Great person. Steve Grimes is, to me, one of those people. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. This Wednesday I'm going to take that 10" Wide Field Ektar in the #5 Universal he CLA'd for me last year and take some pictures with it. If I do my part(I don't have any concerns about that old shutter!) I hope I'll get at least one good photograph that I can put up on the wall, sort of as a memorial to that gentleman from Rhode Island who helped me and many others chase our dreams with the help of his talents, wisdom , and genuine concern for his customers. I'll miss him.

• 1 month later...