What do you use in place of the old Tri-X 400 sheet film?

sjmurray

Getting back into 4x5 since the mid 1980's, I find out that TX 400 in

sheet film is no longer produced, only the professional asa 320

version. What are people using to get the same latitude and mid

tones of the old Tri X?

I recently used up a box of HP5 plus, but I didn't find it to my

liking. Its just different.

Through Fred Picker, I learned of Ansel Adam's use of Tri-X and HC-110 back in the early 1970's. That was then.

<p>Ansel's assistant, John Sexton, wrote a helpful article on TMax in 1987. You can read it <a href="http://192.147.236.3/~lfgroup/articles/sexton-tmax.html"><i>here</i></a>. As far as I know, Mr. Sexton still uses TMax, but perhaps others are better informed about what he uses these days.

<p>You can see some of his images <a href="http://www.pdn-pix.com/legends/sexton/index.html"> <i>here</i></a>. Many would agree that he manages to get good tonality out of his film.

<p>Ken Lee<br><a href="http://www.kenleegallery.com">www.kenleegallery.com</a>

Steve, have you given the professional tri-x a go? When the newer version hits the shelves it may take some experimenting to get the development times down, as the recommended times for HC-110 dil.B are IMHO far to short. The next time out I'm going to try D-76. I tried T-MAX 400 in T-MAX RS, which is the only alternative that I know of for a 400 ASA film besides HP-5+ I found T-MAX 400 harder to get consistent results with, but that may be due to either the Dev-Tec processor I as using at the time, or my own technique(or lack of.) Good Luck!

Steve: I also remember Tri-X sheet film being ASA 320 forever. The 120 size came (and may still come) in the 400 and 320 varieties, and frankly I think the 400 (non-professional) film is better in the 120 size. Many people still like Tri-X in the current sheet film offering, so try a box and see if it performs as you remember it. (But there is a version of tri-x coming out made in a new plant with allegedly different developing times, I haven't tried that one yet and there is some thought that Kodak's published developing times may be off.) I have been trying a number of different film/developer combinations in the last year just to see what, if anything, I'd been missing. I still think properly exposed and developed Tri-X in Xtol or HC110 "B" is a very nice combination and you may too. No point arguing about it; kind of like arguing with someone about whether they are right about their favorite color.

Thanks guys for setting me straight. I did a lot of landscapes in the 1970's with Tri-X. I liked the tonality. Plus-X too, but used that more with studio strobes in the 80's. I noticed (on Kodak's website) Tri-X sheet film now has an extra notch. It used to have just three "v" shaped notches. That's why I assumed it was a different version now. I'll pick some up and try it with D-76. Hopefully it will look like the film I remember.

Yes, the triple V notch code is for Tri-X pan professional film, ASA 320 (TXT 4164) which is basically the same film that Kodak has made for decades.

The new notch code is for the "new" Tri-X sheet film. I personally haven't seen the new film yet. What I've heard is that it will make it to the market as current stocks are exhausted.

I'm still happily using Tri-X and HC110B. I don't know why, but I love the "look" of that combination. I sure wish Kodak would wake up out of its accountant induced slumber and sell Tri-X in Readyloads though...