personal tripod question (3001/3021BPro, 3275)

theorist

I am preparing to purchase my first "real" tripod. I've extensively

searched the archives, but still have a few questions. I don't have

any good camera stores near me to check out tripods, which is why I'm

posting.

First of all, I'm a 5'8" woman (that's without shoes), size 2, with a

small frame. I have a Minolta X-700 and my heaviest lens is a 70-210

zoom (which I don't use often). My main photography interests include

static nature photography and landscapes.

I've decided I want a Bogen BPro tripod, but I'm not sure if a 3001

or a 3021 is best for me. There's about a pound difference in weight

and obviously a difference in height. Will 5.3 pounds of the 3021

(not including the additional weight of the head) be too much for

someone my size? I'm not a hefty person, and I hate carrying a lot of

weight around. On the other hand, I don't want an unstable or too

short tripod. I've heard that the max height for someone using a 3001

is 5'8", but would like confirmation of this. I don't want to extend

the center column. I've also heard that it's good to have a too tall

tripod for uneven surfaces, but am wondering if that's something I

should seriously consider.

The head I'm looking at is the 3275 (Jr. Geared Head). It's one of

the few Bogen heads that I've heard no complaints about. By the way,

this head is about 5" tall, so that adds some height to the tripod. I

know I like this head, but Bogen's website does not recommend it for

use with the 3001, only for the 3021. Is this something I should be

concerned about?

I eagerly await your replies!

Hi Rachel,

I'm 5'8" too, and I use the Bogen 3021. The weight really isn't bad at all; you can tape pipe insulation to the first leg sections and carry it easily.

The 3001 is a sturdy tripod, and it can support your X-700 with no problem. However, if you want to get into more specialized areas, like macro photography, long telephoto, or medium/large format, the 3021 would be a better choice. The 3021 is also nice because it lets you get right down on the ground--I use this feature more than I thought I would.

I don't know about the head, sorry. I use the 3055S and 3038 ball heads.

I used the Manfrotto 190 (I suspect it's the same as the 3001) for 8 years before going Gitzo G1348, and I've always found it very solid. I only got the bigger tripod since I thought that the 190 wasn't solid enough for 420/5.6 and I'm 6"3' so I wanted the extra height. I thought about the 3021 but I noticed that it was actually not very stable when fully extended, and quite heavy nonetheless.

So if you don't shoot with very long lenses, I think you'd do well with the 190. It's much lighter to carry around than the 3021. However, remember not to extend the center column unless you absolutely must.

I have both and think the 3021 is significantly better, much more stable. The only advantage the 3001 has is weight so unless you are looking for a very lightweight tripod, get the 3021. With the BPro version, you can remove the center column which will save some weight when you need to. Overall an excellent tripod.

Hi Rachel I used to have a 3001 but wanted a "sturdier" one so got a 3021. I'm 5'9" and the head used is 3047. I come to consider 3001 to be better, for two reasons:

1. if you have both with three sections fully extended and mount your camera with a long lense (200mm), make sure everything's tight and then lightly kick tripod and watch through the viewfinder. The 3021 has noticeably much longer vibration (surprise).

2. height: the 3047 is about 6.5". Together with 3021 fully extended I find I have to tiptoe to get to the camera viewfinder. (I don't use center post)

The 3021 will be very very sturdy with the bottom sections retracted. Actually that's how I use it these days. I miss the 3001, in my opinion an all around good tripod easy to operate. Weight is a no issue here, since I consider both very light. My friends watch me carry a lot, when in fact I'm not sweating it at all:) The 3047 is heavy for a head though.

Rachel, I am 5'5" and use the 3001 with the 3265 pistol-grip head. Support wise, the 3001 will be plenty. But the 3265 is one of Bogen's tallest heads. I use a battery grip with my camera. With all that, the viewfinder is right at eye level without the center post extended. So I think the 3001 will be too short for you unless you are willing to bend a little. To speak to your question about uneven surfaces, that's the only time I am willing to extend the center column.

Have you considered monopods?

If you have fast lenses, and all you are doing is landscapes and static shots, and you plan to hike some distance before shooting, you may want to consider a monopod while also looking at tripods.

Granted, a tripod is rock steady. Nothing like it. However, more often than not, I find myself within the boundaries of monopod stability when shooting velvia through a 70-300 lens, and a carbon fiber monopod (Slik) weighs about as much as my jeans.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers :)

kundan

You've got lots of answers. I'm 5'9". I've 3001 BPro. Most of the time I didn't have to raise the center column with 3030 head. The heights of head and camera will add up and your eye level is lower than 5'8". If you have 3275 head you should be OK with 3001. One thing you have to remember though, it's flip lever is not the best designed stuff. Their older mode 3205G was better. You can hurt yor finger very easily...

The weight difference isn't that great, even compared to carbon fibre jobs: we're only talking a pound or two here, and it's worth it for the stability, leave something else at home. Additionally, that removable center column that can then go horizontal is great, combined with the legs splayed all the way you get right down there for small plant/bug shots. And, a bonus I found in a small slot canyon, you can get the mounted camera situated where your head was looking at the shot, which you can't always do on a conventional tripod

Hi! I am as tall as you and also I am light weight-small frame, 119 lbs, so I am very interested in having not heavy equipment. I use a Manfrotto 190 tripod (I think Bogen 3001 in USA) with a very small ball head compact 210B (Bogen 3434). It's a fantastic head regarding to the weight, only 0,2 lbs!! and with max load 4,5 lbs (SLR+zoom).

I only have some limitation in vertical shots because the small head plate regarding a tripod plate prevent the ball to place in the ideal position. However it's not a big problem so the uneven surface place the legs with angles that balance the head.

• 5 months later...