Recommendations for a bicycle camera bag

Michael,

Absolutely don't take an M6 on a bicycle! I have had the RF go out of whack on an M4 when I didn't know better. It you do stick cameras in a bike bag it should be in back and not the handlebars where there is more vibration.

I would not carry a messenger bag as that could throw you off balance. A rucksack is better--though I hate anything on my back when I cycle.

I have a JANDD upright bag on the rear rack of my custom Otis Guy hybrid (built in 1992 with the help of Mark Mozart, then at Palo Alto Bicycles, and shipped to Japan).

My bike travel cameras these days. Bessa L with Canon 19/3.5 (for SLR with special adapter)--great when wearing gloves. Contax T2. Konica Gemba Kontaku all weather camera with 28mm lens. Sometimes a Pentax LX with 50/1.2.

Didn't know so many of our community were cyclists. Great!

I use an inexpensive messenger bag I purchased at Longs Drugs here in Oakland CA. It cost less than $13.00, and has a shoulder strap, and a waist strap to prevent it from flopping around. I liked it so much I took it with me to Japan a couple of weeks ago for 9 days, and used it for a general purpose carry all while walking around. I don't carry my M series in it, however I stuff my $5.00 Yashica T, or Rollei 35 in it with lots of film and plenty of other junk.

It seems almost bullet proof. Its made of the same stuff my more expensive luggage is made of. Best of all It does not say "camera".

Best of all, is by not mounting it on a bike, I can take it with me on my road or hybrid bike.

I <I>used to</I> put my gear inside a lowe-pro reporter aw, and fasten it to the rear rack of my bike - with bungee cords. That was back in the days of youthful foolishness (about six months ago); and before one or two scary wipeouts, as well as instances (even more stupid) of inadvertantly allowing the bike to fall over sideways (when I wasn't on it but the bag still was). Finally I wised up (with my equipment still, amazingly, unscathed).<P>

Now, when biking (which I do all the time) I carry the equipment in one of two ways: one body w/ attached lens in a small padded case, inside my daypack (which I'm wearing) (sometimes I add a second lens in its own small padded case); or, the full kit I usually shoot with (not much more - two bodies, maybe three; two or three lenses; and sundry supplies). In the latter case, I place everything inside a well made, off-brand waistpack (that I picked up cheaply in a little Nepali town), and carry the waistpack to my shooting destination, inside the daypack. Nothing to it, really, and it works well. (I do ride more carefully now.)