I notice that photodo rates it rather high (4.3) and reviews on the

net speak rather highly of it.

I know that going with a 3rd party will mean no USM, and possibly

inferior build quality. But as an amateur it is difficult to justify

the higher canon expense, if the 2 lenses are comparable in picture

quality.

I would like to use the lens for both macro and portraits. I

currently own a tamron 75-300 1:2 macro which I am seeking to replace

with primes (~100 and a 200 and a couple of TCs)

my experiece says: if you can go always for Canon lenses... are really superior piece of glasses. I own the new USM version and it's wonderful. It's the first glass in the world to be macro and not show the ridicolous helical that come out every time you want to focus. USM worth every penny and it's definitely faster than my 70-200 f4 L and all other EF lenses. Go for it if you can afford this lens.

Mike

The Tamron is as sharp as any Canon lens I've owned or tried - including the L series. There are no compatability problems - I even had a play with it the 10D - I would recommend it over the Canon purely because it costs so much less. The autofocus is not perfect but for macro I don't believe any autofocus is - its far easier to focus manually and sway back and forth or use a macro focusing rail.

I want to add a little note: the new USM version of Canon macro lens is better optically than the old one and doesn't suffer flare like sigma and tamron. GO FOR THE CANON if you can... otherwise i suggest you to wait until you own money. I said so 'cause i think you're not a pro (pros, generally, doesn't answer these things and go directly for branded optics and have no money probs).

Mike

I have owned both. I still own the tamron. This is there best piece of glass that the company makes.

It is a fine lens. Might not have the USM, but its still fast. Fast focus should not be an issue when talking about Portraits or Macro anyway, the quality of the glass should be.

http://www.photographyreview.com/pscLenses/35mm,Primes/PLS_3111_84crx.aspx

Take a look at the link above. This would give you additional info on what people think about it.

The Canon lens is great, but this is a better VALUE.

I bought the Tamron used for alot less than I could find the Canon for, and the hood and a soft bag came with it. The Autofocus isn't as fast as USM but pretty fast, it is noisy however. The build quality is decent but not outstanding. The lens seems very sharp to me. Also no incompatibility problems with my Elan 7e at all. Its my only non-Canon lens and I'm very happy with it.

What am I missing here? B&H lists both these lenses for about the same price ($440) -- what is the big price difference everyone is talking about? Are you looking at used lenses? Maybe that's where a price difference would appear.

I have the Tamron, it is a great performer optically. Although I do not have a Canon, but Canon's specification sounds just perfect to me, especially the internal focus, FTM, and USM motor. If I lose my Tamron and would have to buy a new one, I will go for Canon. Also, compare with other L lens, the Canon 100mm macro is very value for money. One more point, the re-sell value for Canon is much higher

Some people have experience with tamron, and some with canon. Rarely they own both lenses, so they don't have direct comparison.

I own Canon EF 100mm Macro 1:2.8 USM and it's a great lens. But again, i don't have any experience with Tamron.

If the difference in price is really that great, rent both lenses if you have the chance, and test them.

If difference is like $50, go with Canon, as many claim Canon to be superior, plus no compatibility issues in the future.

I've worked with canon USM, tamron and especially sigma 105. They are three wonderful piece of glasses but the canon one is superior in sharpness, contrast, color rendition and one hundred things too. I've taken the 100 macro.. it's the sharpest lens i ever seen. And it's the only lens in the world that can achieve 1:1 macro ratio without change dimension... and has USM with FTM.

Mike