Autofocus not working on Z7ii with the AF Nikkor 85mm 1:1.8D lens

djthomas

Recently purchased a Z7ii and the FTZ II adapter and all my (F) lenses work well except my 85mm lens: the camera will not allow me to change the focus type from M to either the AF-S or AF-C options and of course when pressing the shutter release to engage autofocus nothing happens. I have the aperture ring locked at f/16 (minimum aperture) to engage autofocus still and nothing happens. The lens still functions properly on my D300 and D500 with no problem.

Any suggestions? (Other than buying an 85mm Z mount lens...)

Exactly which F-mount 85mm/f1.8 lens do you have? I have the AF-S version, and that should AF with any Z body via an FTZ/FTZii adapter. If that is not AF-S, there is no AF motor inside the lens, inside the FTZ adapter, or inside any Z body, hence you have no AF because there is no AF motor anywhere in the set up.

All Nikon Nikkor Z lenses have the AF motor inside the lens, except for the 58mm/f0.95 Noct, which is manual focus only.

Posted (edited)

The thread title says “AF Nikkor 85mm 1:1.8D” - so everything is as should be expected; AF on this lens will not work with the FTZ adapter as it doesn’t have the mechanical linkage to turn the AF “screw”.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 2
Niels

Technically, I am sure they can put some AF motor inside the FTZ. Sony already has that for their mount. How fast and accurate the AF is would be another topic. I doubt that Nikon can make one that performs well in today's standards, as AF has improved drastically since the days of screwdriver AF from 25, 30 years ago.