Question about 120 film exposure markings (on a TLR)

peter_kim2

Hi all Ive posted a couple questions regarding my new Minoltaflex

(early autocord varient) I recently aquired. All of you on photo.net

have been great about helping out a new medium format user. I have

another question!

On the couple rolls Ive put through so far on this Minoltaflex TLR,

the paper backing on the 120 film looks like it has frame numbers

for 3 different sizes. The left row marks off 8 exposures, the

middle for 12 and it looks like 16 or 18 for the far right. The

little red exposure window on the bottom of my minoltaflex only

shows the far left row, 8 exposure, markings. Which means I have

negatives with a 2 cm gap in between exposures. I know I can get 12

with this camera but I cant tell where to stop because the window

only shows the far left row.

Any ideas what I can do and why the heck minolta would put the

window there? Are autocords like this too?

Autocords I guess are called Autocords because they space automaticly after you line up some arrows n the paper with dots inside the camera and close the back. A competant camera tech could drill holes in the camera back and pressure plate, and fit a red window that would line up with the middle row of numbers.

Peter, your camera is faulty and or you need a manual. The red window function is to align the first exposure in your camera, using the 6x9 markings. After this first operation is done, there must be a way to automatically transport the film. This procedure follows the Rolleiflex old standard, early Yashicas TLR, 12 Hasselblad back so on and so forth. The Autocords, follow the 1937 Rolleiflex Automat i.e automatic feeding without the use of a red window. Drilling a hole in the back runs the risc of scratching the film, a procedure that was abandon in the Rolleiflex of 1934.

Im sorry for asking stupid questions Im new to MF and dont know much. I have since deduced that my camera is aparently an exact copy of the old Rolleiflex II. There is in fact a very small window next to the film advance knob. (I did know what it was at first because the window only shows a small circle with a dot inside it.)

But it seems to be broken. The dial dosent turn to show the exposure number and I also think it is supposed to automaticlly 'stop' the film advance knob from turning when it gets to the next frame and stays stopped until I press the shutter. I guess that will probably cost extra to fix.

Any someone maybe tell me a couple things about this camera I have no idea about? :)

What is that little hole right in between the two knobs on this picture? (The one on the top appears to be the broken exposure window)

http://www.photo.net/photo/1402010

And what is this thing sticking out on the right front of the camera between the two lenes? It dosent really look like any flash PC socket that Ive ever seen, although I suspect that is what it is.

http://www.photo.net/photo/1402013

The Minoltaflex you have appears to be a copy of a Rolleicord not a Rolleiflex. <p>

Here is how the film advance works: Once a roll of film is loaded into the camera and the paper backing is propperly attached to the take up spool (the one on the top) the back is closed. Next the little red window is opened, and the film is advanced to the number 1; and the window is closed (do this in subdued light, direct sunlight will leave a circular exposure on the film. Now slide the little button on the side between the focus and advace knobs down and push the button in the middle of the film advance knob; the number 1 should appear in the window where the dot formerly was. <p>

Cock the shutter and take the first picuter and advance the film until the 2 appears in the window and the knob no longer turns. after each successive exposure it will be necessary to push the button in the middle of the film advance knob before advancing the film to the next exposure.

<p>

Oh, the film advance will not work unless there is something on the take up spool to turn the sprocket inside the film compartment. Just to check cameras I have repaired, I use a spare spool which at one end (where the film goes) I have wrapped it with masking tape to 3/4 capacity. Once this is inserted into the camera with the tape touching the sprocket the film exposure counter and film advance should work as designed. If this is still giving you trouble, I would be happy to take a look at the camera for a very resonable rate.

<p>

I can not be sure about the protrusion in the front of the camera, but I am guessing that it is an old style flash post conection.