looking for recommendations for camera repair shop in NYC

ingino

Hi all,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place in Manhattan where

I can bring my old Minolta SRT for a cleaning and tuneup? Without

spending an arm and a leg (but I don't want to cut corners - it needs

some TLC).

Thank you, Gary. Fortunately I am familiar with Carlstadt, NJ and know how to get there by bus. I'll give them a call and see if I want to make the trip. Have you used them before? I was hoping for a place in Manhattan, where I live.

Diane

Diane,

Try www.phototech.com

They are at 110 E. 13th Street. I've never used them for more than a cleaning for my Nikon N90S, but they seem very reasonable. Definitely a place I would try out for a repair. They also came recommended from one of the salespeople at Adorama.

Good luck.

Diane:

Why don't you try Berry Camera Repair Service, which is located on 6th Avenue, either between 29th and 30th street, or 30th and 31st street. Don't tell anyone that I told you, but I believe that B&H sends cameras to Berry for repair. I have had lenses repaired and cleaned at Berry. They are quite professional, and they are punctual!

Hey, I went to my trusty yellow pages and made two calls - one to Berry and one to Olden. I asked for a ballpark figure on a routine Cleaning, Lube, & Adjust. Berry quoted me $85. Olden quoted $35. Such a wide difference! I'm going to keep calling and looking, and hopefully get more recommendations from you guys.

The thing is, I'm an amateur, and I don't know what I'm doing. I love photography but I've been winging it, without much knowledge, for a very long time. My old SRT 200 has served me very well since I was 18 years old (when it first hit the markets), but I've been a boob about taking care of it. Yes, it is a workhorse (I once accidentally dropped it on a concrete floor with no ill effects), but I've only given it a CL&A once before in the 20+ years I've owned it.

Now I want to learn more (have signed up for a course to brush up on basics) and dip my foot into the possibility of doing headshots and actually charging money for taking pictures. The first thing on my To Do list -- before buying lenses or lights or anything else - is to get my camera up to snuff, because I know I've neglected it. There is some rust on the outside hinge area, and there's this brownish, gooey, schmutz on one edge of my mirror. In the past, I may have tried to clean the inside without really knowing what I was doing. I've been reading various websites about cleaning an SRT and I hope I didn't do any damage. My vacation shots come out fine, but the question is: is it in tip-top shape for me to use as a beginning professional?

I love this camera - I feel lost trying to use automatic ones - so I really want to get it nicely tuned up OR get the word from an expert on whether or not it's ready for that big darkbag in the sky. So, that's why I want to go somewhere here in the city where I can talk to the people, and ask questions, without being snubbed because I'm obviously not as knowledgeable about my camera as I could be (will be). I want to feel taken care of.

So that's what I'm looking for. Thanks for reading my rambling message.

Diane