Schneider 110XL does not cover 8x10, nor 4x10

pete_caluori

Greetings,

There have been posts in the past that indicate the 110XL can cover

8x10 when stopped down. Granted, the specifications for this lens

clearly indicate that it will not cover the 8x10 format, but many

lenses cover more than their specifications indicate.

Dan Smith recently replied to a post indicating that his lens does

cover 4x10 and barely covers 8x10 when stopped down. I don't doubt

Dan's claim, but find it interesting, because the one I used clearly

does not. I know this is common with older lenses (i.e. Dagors) but

I would think that a modern lens, made by one of the foremost

manufacturers of LF wide angle lenses to be manufactured to a higher

degree of consistency. I guess this isn't true, becuase the proof

is in the print.

This image was taken with a friend's 110XL on 8x10 and it was shot

at f45, the smallest aperature, and at less than infinity, meaning

it would have had even less coverage at infinity. It's contact

printed on Azo and it has white borders, because of my contact

printing frame. If you look closely, I've scanned the entire sheet

of paper and this lens would not cover 4x10. Just curious Dan, but

I'd like to know the serial number range of your 110XL?

Regards, Pete<div>004vvC-12330684.jpg.101aaac640d712816def3d1bf15c07c5.jpg</div>

Well, the one you have certainly doesn't cover...as your image shows. The one I tried after hearing they covered did do so. It was at Calumet and they put it on a technika board & I shot an 8x10 in the parking lot. Full image at f/45 on the film. But, I can't afford one these days & still use the 120 SW Nikkor on the 8x10. It does very well & is paid for.

Mine covers also.

The stated coverage at f/22 is 288, which is only 24mm (1 inch) short of making the diagonal of an 8x10. Clearly, the lens you used for the photo was either not a 110XL, or they have made a major change to the lenses recently.

The photo looks like you may have used a CF on the lens? I don't see too much falloff toward the edges, which makes me suspect that. I would have expected a loss of coverage from the CF, but not that much. I'll have to try mine with the CF to see if it loses that much.

If Schneider did change the lens design, then older ones have just gotten more valueable, as people will be searching them out for use on 8x10's in the future!

The coverage you have shown looks more like the coverage from the 80XL on an 8x10. It doesn't come close to covering, and will make a round image like that.

---Michael

Pete,

This is really a suprise. It looks like your photo has about 9" of IC to it, or about 230mm. That's nowhere near the 288 in the literature.

The 80mm XL has a stated IC of 212mm, which would put it at just about the size you have shown. Maybe they mislabelled the lens? What shutter is it mounted in? The 80XL is in a #0, and the 110 is in a #1.

Other than that, I can't come up with any ideas why there would be this much variation. At 230mm, it barely has the coverage for 5x7...

---Michael

Mine (1 1/2 years old) covers without a problem. Something else is going on here. Glass is in original shutter? No spacing issues? Yours seems like it covers 5X7 with just a little room which is not typical of this lens. (I like the print, though.)

I can't believe all the folks that are using this lens with success! I spoke to my friend and he told me that he acquired the lens in 1999. I'm going to try the lens again, but it may be a week or two before my friend and I can hook up. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all the replies!

Regards, Pete

In taking a closer look at the image it appears the lens isn't even close to the advertised coverage. With so many others getting much more out of it somehing is amiss. Get ahold of the folks at Schneider & have it checked out. This kind of advertising they don't need. A lens that doesn't even meet the published specs is out of whack(scientific lens industry term) somewhere. So give the folks at Schneider a hollar, either through the dealer he got it at or the reps & find out what is going on... and then let us know what is said & done about it.

Again I thank everyone for their comments. I will indeed see what's wrong with this and report back. It never dawned on me that the image I took doesn't even come close to the stated specs, so I to am curious... Several of my Lenses are Schneiders and I personally think their wide angle offerings are superb.

As for the seperation in the sky, that's a result of Azo and the light the morning it was taken.

Regards, Pete