A different kind of Hasselblad back light leak

dave_lewis

Hello,

One of my Hasselblad A12 backs has developed a light leak...but it's

not in the usual place. I'm used to seeing the tell-tale signs of a

light leak due to the foil seal getting old. This particular back has

a light leak just like that...except the leak is on the other side of

the back (on the other side of the darkslide.) It's a narrow line

running from top-to-bottom on the side with the 'V' notches.

I've replaced light seals in the past...but I'm not sure this would

correct this problem...or would it?

I searched the archives and found someone had a similar problem in

1998...but no one answered. Help!!!

And thanks!

Dave,

I've seen techs check for light leaks by holding the back shell up to a bright light. They use the dark slide to block the light above the back and then look into the shell. You can see if the slot is leaking light or not that way. You could also do this on the side of the back away from the slot although it's hard to see how this could develop a leak. Does your back mount firmly to the camera? Sometimes the little brackets that the bottom of the back slides onto can get bent.

Just for science try putting some black electrical tape over the area you think the light leak is and see if it goes away. Does your dark slide have a seperate internal felt light seal built into the back? This can be leaking. How old is the camera?

On the MamiyaRB the back face that contacts the camera is a face plate screwed onto the back and sometimes that gets loose, just a twist of the screws and it's gone.

The more you say, the less people listen.

I had strange light leaks in three older backs once... they had sat around for some time, and the foam that goes between the shell sideplate (on the COUNTER side) and the back plate was deteriorated on all three. What was happening... (and I'm guessing here) is that the light was getting in thru and around the counter window, and then past the deteriorated foam and into the back shell. It took some time to actually find the problem, but the fix was easy. Its funny that all three magazines were doing it.