Texas bluebonnets

dave_kemp

I've recently moved back to Texas, where I grew up, after 33 years in

Southern California. It's good to be back "home," in the land of real

people. I may be too late with this question, but could some of you

Texas photographers give me some recommendations for the best places

and dates for photographing Texas bluebonnets. I've been away so long

that I'm completely out of touch with this kind of thing. I live in

Plano (north end of Dallas) but don't mind driving. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with your part of Texas. I travel more in west and, southern Texas. The hill country area is probably the best I've seen. The highway 290 west from Austin is usually good. One of the most popular is the Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg. I haven't had a chance to see it this year so check with the chamber of commerce for info.

Dave, all of the area around Marble Falls (NW of Austin) is usually excellent, but I've found many areas near Brenham to be good, and many areas along I10 east of San Antonio can have good displays.

Usually sometime around the first week of April is when the peak occurs. The last couple of years have been pretty poor for flowers though, due to the lack of rain during the winter.

Cliff Ober

Just thought I should add a comment about the Willow City Loop. Just arrived back in Chicago from taking pictures around the Hill Country. The Willow City Loop was by far the most scenic area I saw with the most wildflowers however, it is illegal to park either on or off the road. Of course, I ignored this but was hassled by the locals three times. Best approach is to plead ignorance and move on a bit however, it does tend to take the enjoyment out of it when you are made to feel like a naughty schoolboy.

Unfortunately, we didn't have the fall and winter/early spring rains this year so the bluebonnets, although seemingly plentiful in areas west and east of Austin, were about half the normal size and really didn't look their absolute best. We did have some rain in April, so even though this was too late for bluebonnets, other wildflowers now are looking great. I have seen Indian Blankets (Gaillardia), White poppies, larkspur, coreopsis, etc. The pricky pear cactus flowers are starting to bloom and I think these will look great this year. Most people don't realize that the post-bluebonnet show of wildflowers in central Texas during late April and early May is as wonderful as the bluebonnet show and seems to be less dependent on good rain.

I waited until Monday morning for this report, having spent three days near Fredericksburg. The

bluebonnets are basically over as are the indian paitbrush, but the later blooming flowers are especially

good around Stonewall (LBJ's ranch and state park, etc.). As a previous poster mentioned, the prickly

pears are blooming right now and they are beautiful! My best site was within Pedernales State Park,

along the road to the picnic site.

Welcome home!!

The city of Ennis, about 45 minutes south of Dallas, sponsors the annual Bluebonnet Festival every April. They have a map of places to drive around to with designated fields of bluebonnets. It's about 40 miles total of trails.

I drove down yesterday to have a look around. Very windy and I completely forgot my tripod. The visitors' center next to the railroad museum in Ennis was closed and the little box they have to pick up a copy of the trail map was empty. I had looked online for a copy of this map but hadn't found it. I realize now it's at www.visitennis.org/printablemap.htm.

I plan to try again in the next few days.

Also, on a recent drive (a week ago) from Dallas to Austin along I-35 and I35E, there were numerous areas of wildflowers -- bluebonnets and paintbrush, among others -- in bloom along the highway.

Finally, it is cactus blooming season. There are quite a few different cactus species blooming around now, particularly out around Austin.