In considering getting an EOS-1 to supplement my EOS-3 for easier

photojournalism work, I've been reviewing the camera's custom

functions (http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/EOScf.htm#1) to ensure

similarity between the cameras.

On my EOS-3, I have custom function 4 set to option "1"; Autofocus is

activated via the AE lock button, whereas AE lock takes place when

the shutter button is half-pressed.

Is this the same as the EOS-1's CF 4 when set to "1", or does that

setting completely disable AE lock, as in the EOS-3's option "3"?

I also have several other things I'm curious but not worried about:

Does the EOS-1 have automatic fill-flash reduction? Does it have AEB?

Does the LCD have a backlight (if so, what color is it)? How accurate

is the camera's advance system compared to that of the EOS-3 (i.e. Is

it recommended to skip a frame when reloading film)? Last but not

least, could anybody direct me to a link illustrating the EOS-1's

evaluative metering pattern?

Thank you very much.

Hi, Adam

I have both, hope to share something with you.

EOS-1's CF-4 only has options "1" and "0", just to exchange the functions of AF and AEL bottons

Not sure about automatic fill flash reduction. I would guess not for EOS-1

AEB is present for EOS-1, but the bottons are not on the top of the cameras. By pressing the battery and drive bottons in the side door, you can activate the AEB funcion. Not as convenient as EOS-3

I have tried reloading before, but I always skip a frame. I can only see from the developed film that it should be OK not to skip a frame, but why take the risk? film is cheap

No idea about the 6-zone metering pattern.

Very little information, hope the above would help you a bit...

Cheers

I just realized the EOS-1 has 2 buttons on the back, but the outermost one cannot serve the same function as on later cameras, as there is only one focusing point. Does this button, when held in combination with turning the mailn dial, replicate the task of the quick control dial? If not, what does it do? Sorry for my naivete. Thanks for your help.

You are correct in the use of the outer back thumb button. It replicates the QCD. It puzzled me at first, too. The 6-zone metering is very accurate, and mroe than adequate for most situations, even backlit ones. I think having fewer cells in a backlight situation actually helps you get a better median exposure with negative film than a 35-zone does. Just my opinion, of course. The LCD backoight is indiglo blue, and is absolutely marvelous. I like my EOS-1 better than the EOS-3's I have handled. Sleeker, simpler operation, not as noisy, better constructed (I think), better viewfinder, etc. A top quality oldie. I would never get rid of mine.

Adam:

It has been about a year since I owned a 1V, having gone digital with the 1D and 1Ds which are quite similar so I'll do my best ;)

Yes, CF4-1 sets the "*" button to AF and half-shutter to AE-Lock (but there are two other options too). Yes on auto fill flash reduction; Yes on AEB; Yes on the backlight and it is blue-ish; advance system is perfect with no need to advance an extra frame, and additionally the 1V imprints a unique camera number (user settable 01 - 99) AND a roll number (1-9999 I think) on the leader as it advances the film to frame 1; the owner's manual has a very good overview of the metering systems.

It's a great camera -- enjoy!

Cheers,