"Refurbished" is printed on the carton (not a sticker). Came with

instruction book, strap, eyecup, batteries, etc... Unfortunately you

only get I think a 90day warranty from Adorama, but a Mack 7-yr is only

about another $20.

Now, some things I really like about the 7E vis-a-vis the 1V are its

quietness and especially separate turn-knobs for changing the AF mode

(ie. from one-shot to AIServo, etc..) and turn-knob for the film

advance mode (one-shot, selftimer and continuous). And a turn knob for

the exposure modes (Av, TV, Manual, etc..)

Why is the 1V's controls for these things made more difficult to set --

involves pushing 1 or 2 buttons and then a rotate of the control wheel?

Is it all done for the sake of weather proofing the top of the camera?

I love the 1V, but just wondering the above as the 7E's structure would

appear to be faster and more easily adjusted -- contrary to what you'd

guess on a consumer vs. "Pro" body.

How did you get your 7e refurb order before me??? I ordered mine before you!!! =( I'm so upset!!! It should have been here days ago! I hope it comes today!

As for your question, I believe it is mainly because of weather proofing. You can't really seal rotating dials and switches because the rubber sealing would make them very tough to operate and you could probably tear or stretch open the rubber with constant rotation use.

In all honesty, if I were to win the lottery right now, I still wouldn't buy a 1v just yet (but I would eventually!). Two reasons, I'm not ready for it and it's loud! For my current style of shooting, I like the quiet drive of the Elan 7e and, at the moment, it is more than enough camera for me!

Well I guess that explains it. I just really want it soon. This weekend is supposed to be really nice up here so I'd love to take it out for some fun shots.

I am glad to hear about the condition of your package and the contents! YAY, the strap, eyecup, batteries, manual, and warranty card are all there! I'm also glad to hear that you believe the camera appears to be in mint condition. May I ask what you have as your primary camera? Also, is it worth it for me (in Canada) to get a Mack 7 yr warranty? I am quite careful with my equipment (generally, =p).

Actually the reason that the interface on the 3 and 1v is such is not to do with weather sealing.

It is to make it difficult to change those settings. Not to obstruct the user, but to make sure that it does not happen by accident. With the EOS 30's controls in a press scrum or under fire in a warzone (very topical) the control could be knocked and put the camera into the wrong mode or enable the self timer, etc and then the shot is lost. The 1v and 3 use the button + main dial system because then it is extremely unlikely that these settings can be changed by accident, even under some fairly extreme conditions, and consequently the camera is in the mode it was set to be in and so the photographer knows exactly how the camera is going to act without having to check.

Of course, for more sedate, amateur use, these situations are unlikely to arise, but that's a price of pro gear I guess... it's designed for pros.

The obvious reason for the buttons on the EOS-1V vs the knobs on the EOS-7E is that the EOS-1V is derived from the EOS-1 and EOS-1N dating back to about 1990 and these are essentially three versions of the same camera.

The EOS-7E is a relatively new design, clearly influenced by retro thinking to bring back the familiar type controls on traditional cameras of the past. In this case, Canon feels no reason to evolve the design of consumer cameras and are free to use a different control scheme.

Canon stresses continuity in the EOS-1, -1N, -1V so that users of the different models can operate any of the three intuitively and not have to adapt to a different control scheme.

Whatever the appeal of the control scheme on the Elan 7/7E, I believe the button scheme on the "1" models is faster and makes for an elegant, uncluttered design. (Compare it to the Nikon F5 with its knobs and buttons and levers!)

Thanks for the answers... perhaps I need to just work longer with 1V, as I can't see how its faster -- ie. finding the right 1 or 2-button combo to push, and then scrolling the wheel while looking at the LCD screen til the option I want appears... requires 2 hands vs. 1.

With the knobs, I would guess that especially on film advance and AF mode, it would be easily done by feel given the there are only 3 click stops (could be done with eye to the viewfinder) to consider and you can't spin thru these options to begin over again where you started.

I tend to agree with the thought that settings on 1V can't be accidently changed in a busy/jostling environment, also do think that it helps with the weather sealing.

I'm going to put my foot right in it here and say that for simple user interface and downright ease of use the best Eos is the original 650. I bought one of these off eBay a few months ago as a backup to my 5 and I now use it at least as much. And yes, I have tried the Eos 1V

I'm not always convinced that the manufacturers improve their cameras with each new model. The Canon F1 New was definitely not an improvement on the original F1. Nikon's F2 was different but, in my opinion, no improvement on the F. As for the 'improvements' between Nikon's F4 and F5... Well, why do you think I changed to Canon? :-)

Yep, it's to make it "bump proof".

I have a couple of the original eos-1 bodies, and a while back bought an eos D30, which i replaced with a 1D. Not only does the 1D operate identically to the 1V, the digital settings also require multi-contact to make changes.

On the camera control end, i was back at home with the 1D. I don't even have to look at it when i make changes, it's just like my eos-1.

On the digital end however, i see where you are coming from. I was used to the easy adjustment of the D30, and the 1D is taking some getting used to.

I've got an EOS30 and a 33 (elan 7E). I also have a T90 which was the first to have the push button controls. The only real advantage my T90 has over the EOS's is it's weather protection. I still take it with me to events sometimes just in case there is a downpour. Also I've never accidently altered the controls in a press scrum with my EOS's and I've been in a few recently. As far as I know those pushbuttons are all about weather and dirt sealing, not to mention unlike a dial they won't break off when you take a tumble in the scrum.

My EOS's won't keep working long when it's raining, the T90 was only stopped once by a torrential downpour, it's was fine after being dried out.

<cite>Also, is it worth it for me (in Canada) to get a Mack 7 yr warranty?</cite>

<p>Yes, if you would not be able to afford the potential cost of repairs or replacement during that period, or if you will lose sleep worrying about whether your camera will need repairs at some time. No, otherwise.</p>

<p>A company which offers for sale an extended warranty does so not to be nice to you, but to make a profit for them. That means that they have figured out how much they expect repairs and replacements to cost, <em>on average</em>, for the item covered under the warranty. They have then marked this up so that they make a profit, and that's the price they charge you. In other words, the cost of the warranty is higher than what the warranty company figures it will actually cost them to honour it; were it otherwise, the warranty company would be planning to lose money on the deal, and most companies try to avoid doing that.</p>

<p>The important part is "on average." Your camera may require fewer or more repairs than average, and these repairs may cost more or less than average. If you look at all of the people who don't buy an extended warranty, some will end up paying less for repairs than the cost of the warranty, and some will end up paying more. But on average, those who fund repairs out of their own pocket will pay less than those who buy extended warranties.</p>

Don't know what a Canadian warranty is like. Here in the UK you are buying an insurance policey. If anything goes wrong you then have to make a claim. I never bother with a warrenty. I suspect most people who buy these things just end up collecting bits of expensive paper. Anyway I try to avoid working with gear I can't really afford

Yes it would be very hard to knoack a knob off the 1, 1N 1V or EOS3, the others however... It is eaeier to seal a button than a knob, and like has already been stated to change the settings. Shit my Elan7's diopter is constantly getting knocked off adjustment because it sits at the edge of the eyecup where my 1N's tucked neatly behind the eyecup. Another telltale sign of why the 1 series is designed the way it is.

Yes, they're on the sight. Go to Adorama via photo.net and search for "Elan 7e". Go to the second page where the price shown is $409.95. Then click on that link and it will give you the option of "used". Click on that and it will bring you to the bottom of a page presenting a "D" Demo option for $324 and an "E+" option for $309.

Good Luck!