Leica Sighting - Movies

Forgive me if this has been posted and I missed it, but there is a Leica sighting in the current film, "The Quiet American". There is an American photojournalist (bit part) who uses a Leica and what appears to be 50 collapsible Summicron in a couple of scenes. I couldn't tell which body, but the film is set in Vietnam in 1952, so if they are true to form (they were in using correct firearms) then it probably was a LTM, though they could have fudged and used an M.Just thought Mr. Nemeth could put it down in his collection.It is a good film, by the way.

The Leica in the movie "One Hour Photo" had to be a paid product placement. In an early scene a woman brings in her camera and the clerk says "A Leica Minilux! That's a nice camera." or something like that. The specific product name being mentioned caught my attention. If Leica didn't pay for that one, I'd be surprised. The film was nothing special, though.

Forgive me, but I always find these "Leica sighting" threads absurd as I can never comprehend why people find it interesting or worthy of note that a Leica can be seen in a movie or being used by a celebrity. In the case of the Quiet American, as it is well-known that the Leica was the camera of choice for photojournalists at the time of the story, it's wholly unremarkable that it should be seen in this film.

Currently, few photojournalists use a Leica; is this why people find it interesting when a Leica shows up in a film? Or is it that people feel that their own use of the Leica is "validated" by seeing them is a movie or being used by a celebrity? But why should this be necessary when you consider all the famous photographers who used a Leica in the past, or even the famous ones that use one know such as Ralph Gibson and William Eggleston to name just two contemporary photographers. Hey, the lenses are good and the M body feels "right" -- isn't that enough for you?

Whenever I see one of these Leica sighting postings, my reaction always is, "who cares?"

""Who cares?" That would be those who click on "Leica Sightings-Movies" Those who don't, don't click. Works beautifully, don't you think?"

Not really: I just blundered by mistake, having wanted to click on the title below it. But once I read the thread I wanted to react to absurdity. This ain't harsh.

Andrew: If you're so proud of your list, why are you so senstive that someone might thinks that it's absurd?

Mike: "Risible" happened to be the right word for the occasion, particularly as we're writing to each other. I must say that I have never used it for conversation.

Others: No, I clicked by mistake only once; subsequent clicks obbiously were intential as the thread got increasingly amusing.

Hey, if you want "risible," how about a forum dedicated to one particular brand of camera?! Now, THAT'S geeky! Or is it a little too ironic to mention it on the forum dedicated to that camera? (Where's Alanis Morisette when you need her?)

Actually, what I find risible is gravity-defying silicone cartoon boobs, but you don't hear much complaining about that!