Final thought on Kiev?

jaisen_nailen

Ok guys (and gals)...

After careful research of the Kiev 88 system, I have decided to buy one, and I might add that for some reason I am very excited about it. I didn't get this excited even when I got my first RB67. Anyway... My question is: Where to buy from? I like the fact that I can get it in black from Kalimex S.R.O., but they are out of the country. I e-mailed KievUSA inquiring about the black model from them, I have not heard back yet. I like the quality control that KievUSA performs on their cameras (seal replacement, adding crank, etc...). Does anyone have anything to say about that? I can get it from Continent Wide, it would be cheaper, but would not have the crank already installed. Would it be worth it to buy the crank and install it myself? Has anyone ever done that? No that I have decided to buy one, and which model, and which accessories, now I need another push. Help!!!

<p>

Thanks!

Jaisen Nailen

jnailen@netdoor.com

Freeze Frame Photography

4640 McWillie Dr.

Jackson MS 39206 (USA)

I would recommend Kiev USA.

<p>

I have boughtr all my Kiev equipment overseas at very low prices. However, I have had about 50% of it "fixed" at one time or another.

This negates a lot of the "overseas savings".

<p>

I have had good luck with Kiev USA: they have redone three backs for me -- increasing the frame spacing and killing light leaks. All three came back just right.

<p>

And, I just had an old body "re done" by them. It was in very poor mechanical condition, and required replacement of almost everything. However, Kiev USA stuck to their estimated price, and returned me the body in first class shape.

<p>

for what it's worth...

<p>

Don Feinberg

donf@intercall.net

• 2 weeks later...

I have probably been lucky, but I bought mine from Kalimex in Cz and had a very good relationship with them. They shipped promptly and I have had no problems with my camera, lens, etc... The price was less and when I'm ready to add lenses, backs and so forth, I can save hundreds (literally) by purchasing through them.

PS-The manual I received stated that I could use 220 film in the backs by simply re-setting my counter once on 12. I tried this. The film advanced fine (although it put some strain on my knob) BUT (<--- a big but) enough light came through the viewing hole in the back to put a perfect black fog circle in the center of each frame. I did not know that 220 had no backing. Live and learn

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After quite abit of research on the Kiev 88, I purchased mine from

Kiev USA (Kiev 88c). The warranty was very important - so Kiev USA's

full year warranty was the deciding factor. Also, they 'rework' the units prior

to distribution - another significant factor. I had a problem with mine

(my error), they were friendly and more importantly, fixed the problem

in minimal time without question. Mine is working quite well. IMHO,

I would have been happy without the crank. The service prior to and after

the sale is the deciding factor.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Talk to Mike Fourman at Kievcamera.com . Very knowledgeable, very helpful, and good prices, good warranty. Honest guy. Go with the Kiev 88CM or Kiev 60 by Hartblei, MLU if they have it in stock. Or go with ARAX (not connected with Kievcamera). You can find them all on Ebay. Don't waste your money on a new or used Kiev that hasn't been reworked to correct the quality control issues. The lenses are great, be sure to get the P6 ones to go with the P6 mount on the new cameras.