what kind of flash would i be able to get for my Nikon F2?

maktime

Pretty much any hot-shoe or PC flash should work on the F2; however, you won't get any TTL or other exotic dedicated functions out of it, so any extra money you pay for that sort of frill will be wasted. Probably the best flash you can get for the money is the Vivitar 283, which has become something of a legend over the years.

rick :)=

If you find yourself an AS-1 flash coupler, you can use most any 'standard' hot shoe flash with your F2. Something basic like a Vivitar 283 would work just fine.

OTOH, if you already have access to a newer flash like a Nikon SB-26 or SB-28, they offer a fair amount of flexibility in a compact package. Of course you can't use TTL flash metering, but the wide range of usable apertures in the flash's 'Auto' mode is helpful, as is the zoom head that covers a broad range of focal lengths.

A last word, we do have a Nikon forum here at photo.net; there are probably some F2 shooters who don't bother reading the general 'camera equipment' forum.

Whatever flash you get, I'd recommend getting a flash bracket and a PC sync cord connector, so you don't need to use the Klugy AS-1 flash connector. Just get any good brand automatic Thyristor flash with an adjustable bounce head.

The Vivtar 283 or 285 or any of the Sunpack 3xx or 4xx series flashes will be good choices, and you can pick up one of these for as little as $30-40 on *bay in nice condition. A good Bracket can be gotten on the auction site for less than $10 plus shipping costs.