Camera as time machine!

Not sure when or where I got this from but I remember reading it.  Basically it went something like this.

A camera is a time machine, in the sense that it can capture an image that exists at a specific instant and a specific point in time and space, freeze and store it, for later retrieval and transfer to a more permanent facility, where it can be viewed, over and over again. 

Izzy From Brooklyn

More of a window into the past and present, as it was then and how it is now, forever old and forever new, time is always and never the same.  Just a wonderful topic that photography can be used to see into all aspects of life.  I once worked on a photographic project to document time lapse over landscapes and interpret the changes.  Here is a link to some of the images: It was published in the early 1980’s .. 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/67334403

Or "Love machine", as described one intellectual over glass of wine. She draw the parallel between photography and rape, because photography strips virginity from event  which would not be exposed/documented without photograph. (my sarcasm, of course.)

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Posted (edited)

“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.”
– Dorothea Lange

As the camera may freeze a moment the photographer’s expression or the viewer’s reaction may unfreeze the moment. 

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

11 hours ago, inoneeye said:

As the camera may freeze a moment the photographer’s expression or the viewer’s reaction may unfreeze the moment.

+1
Thanks for thawing things out.

"You talkin' to me?"

I guess the camera is the machine or tool (all kinds).  The image captures the moment (a reflection in time?).  I can think of several applications such as slow time lapse (like a bud to flower) or high speed images that can show the movement of a bullet passing through an egg.  Astronomers capture images that may have occurred billions of "light" years ago.  Physicist look at subatomic particles.  Medical applications are beyond my knowledge.   

Posted (edited)

Cameras do a good job of recording aging. I have photos of my mum, one when she was 1 year old (studio shot), one when she was 18 (also a studio shot), and one when she was 91, (taken with my newly acquired Ebay Zeiss Ikonta 532/2). Mum is now departed and of course there are plenty of other shots of her, but those three shots are the ones I treasure. I currently have the one when she was 18 side-by-side with the one when she was 91 displayed on my roll top desk, to remind me of my mortality.

Edited by kmac

• 2 weeks later...