is a MP just a "modern" m4-p ?

The MP is an M6 stripped of a number of things (the crank rewind, the ergonomic wind lever, the nicely-textured body covering, the strap-rub protectors, the availability of a black-chrome finish) but it does have a meter, with same sensitivity and 3-diode display as the M6TTL, but stripped of the TTL flash circuitry and with a battery-status diode in place of the flash-ready diode. The battery-status diode is lit anytime the meter is activated--kind of an oxymoron of sorts since the battery-condition diode is actually using up the battery (and is redundant because the diodes themselves still indicate battery condition as they always did in the M6 and TTL). The great news is that you can have an M6 without a meter for half the cost of the MP: buy a mint M6 and don't put batteries in it!

No, wait, here it is, page 62 of the German/English instructions 'If the battery-shaped LED lights up in addition to the light balance LEDs, the batteries will soon need to be replaced.' I guess the word 'If' is the important one. And to think people read the archives and actually believe whats written here. Now there is a potential shot in the foot in the making ;-)

The one I handled in the store had the battery symbol lit whenever I pressed the shutter to light up the meter diodes. The Leica rep who was present said the battery was brand new and that's the way it's supposed to work. Guess that body *does* need to go right back for service and guess that rep needs to go back to Leica Schule.

More accurately the MP is an "antique" M6 'classic' with the rewind knob and flareless RF of an M3.

I haven't commented much on the MP yet. Basically, I'm glad it exists, since it means an extra 20-year stock of 'classic'-sized parts for my M6s: finder windows, shutter knobs, etc. I'm not sold on the reversion to the knob rewind, though.

In practice Andy the film rewind is very good. Not maybe as fast as the canted crank over the time it takes to rewind one film. But it doesn't unwind the film if you let go. In trying conditions when speed is of the essence, and your fingers slip off the canted crank and the film unwinds, well, thats when you may wish it was an MP. But by far the best solution would be for Leica to modify the canted crank to perform that trick as well!

I'm glad to hear the first reports that the rewind knob on the MP is good to use. I have an M2 that lived a hard life in the pool locker of a newspaper. I doubt if the canted rewind crank of an M4(2,p) or M6 would have survived all this camera has apparently gone through, based on all the dents and scrapes. <P>

Some people think the rewind is a nostalgia item but I will take the few extra seconds it may take to rewind film for the superior durability.

I can't believe so many people are rallying 'round to tell us what a blessing the outmoded rewind knob on the MP is. I use an M3, and if I could swap the rewind knob for a canted crank without losing the other features of the M3, I would do so in a heartbeat.

I don't see why the MP has to be battery-dependent. If they put a selenium cell in there, instead of a silicon blue diode, it wouldn't need batteries and then there would be space for a self-timer. It wouldn't be able to drive an LED display, of course, so you'd need a sensitive match-needle galvanometer visible in the viewfinder and the meter wouldn't be very sensitive but it would probably work - after a fashion.