Price increase for Leica ?

Rich Pinto of Photo Village informed me (2 weeks ago) that there are going to be a few price increases this year, and at the end of 2003 the price for M7's is expected to be around US$2,900. In addition, there are expected to be ZERO Leica Day discount prices or rebates.

(a) All I can tell you is what's up here in Leica land, and the euro going up and the dollar going down isn't in anybody's favour (not even Leica's).

(b) Leica prices (again, at least here) ALWAYS go up every October 1st, and also every spring; sometimes on March 1st and sometimes on April 1st (no joke).

© Over the last 12 months (here) the prices of Leica lenses have gone up at least 1% and at most 6%. But again, that type of thing happens EVERY year.

Yup. Leica Camera AG positions itself as a manufacturer of exclusive boutique items and think they can come away with any price increase. They obviously believe customers will pay any price, and even want to lest the masses can afford luxu-, err, Leica. IMHO they're on the road to economic suicide.

Have you ever wonder why the R8 and the R9 while having so much more "stuff" packed into the cameras, cost a lot more to develop, yet they are priced almost always a few hundred dollars below the (comparatively simpler) M7? Is it a classic case of supply and demand?

Just another reason to look at competitors like Cosina/Voigtlander or Konica for your next body/lens purchase if you ask me...

In times where more and more people are switching/moving towards digital and that type of equipment is falling rather drastically in price, Leica - again - goes their own way.

How is this not going to hurt them long term?

<<Worth and value are in the eyes of the beholder, but, I seriously doubt many people will see the sense in the M7 at $2900. The TTLs, a great camera, sold for $1995. The upgrade simply cannot be worth $1000.

-- Bob Haight>>

I agree 100% Bob, but then how would you explain the number of people right here on this forum who are hot to buy the MP, which is in a number of ways a downgrade from the M6TTL, for $2600?

Don't want to start a new thread on this - I just got a call from my dealer in Oregon soliciting sales for the MP. The model/derivative is being sold as "a la carte" - his words. Each component can be bought separately. Seems like the MP is not getting the reception the manufacturer has hope for. New twist and turns everyday...

A bad omen for the boys in Solms. They are upping the price

probably due to the fall in the $$ all in the setting of a persistent

recession in this country. To make matters worse, there is a

healthy second market for all RFs that can only but weaken the

primary market. You are right, why buy an M7 for $1000 more

than a M6TTL. Glad I got my M7 last year.

<<I just got a call from my dealer in Oregon soliciting sales for the MP. The model/derivative is being sold as "a la carte" - his words. Each component can be bought separately>>

Leica evidently figured a good way to dump all those b.p. 35 and 50 lenses they have left over would be to force the can't-wait-another-second-for-the-MP fondlers to buy a kit with the two lenses. Nice try. If they made a 90 in b.p. too it might work, but otherwise the outfit's a 3-legged horse.

Morgan -- the combined original price new for my black paint M2/3s was less than $900, a conservative estimate would value them at over $10,000. I am a daily user not a collector and I do not care how much I beat them up, they can take it.

Leica could have AND would have a huge demand for the MP if they can just have some marketing commonsense.

A used (mint) M6 classic can be had for about $1400 and one would have to shell out more than $1100 for the MP, which is really an M6 with some cosmetic differences. I think the entire MP marketing launch is screwy. How in the world could the MP be advertised as a profession model and yet even traditional Leica enthusiasts, which is the real market for Leicas, would hesitate to pull the trigger. Granted Leica is a niche market where there's no volume in business, but just by reading this board, there are a lot of people here wanting an MP, but are not brain-damaged enough to buy it.

"...I seriously doubt many people will see the sense in the M7 at $2900. The TTLs, a great camera, sold for $1995. The upgrade simply cannot be worth $1000."

But if the M6TTL's were still in production (not the MP), then their price might have increased to $2400 to $2500. I really do think the prices are due to the sinking dollar, and maybe inflation in Germany an Europe. Maybe someone from the others side of the Atlantic could shed some light on inflationary factors.

Chip, inflation in Leicaland is moderate, i.e. currently in the 2 to 3 per cent p.a. range. (How it might change if the war continues much longer no one can reliably predict.) Admittedly, the Euro has become more expensive in relation to the Dollar recently, but I assume that Leica price increases are due to marketing and nothing else.<p>To explain what I meant with the "road to economic suicide": When the M3 was launched, it was an excellent, reliable tool for a huge variety of photographic objectives. You could hardly buy a 'better' camera in those days, and Ernst Leitz GmbH was a strong competitor in the photography equipment market in those days.<br>Some years ago, Leica Camera AG decided to retreat into an economic niche, namely the one of exclusive luxury products. They're firmly set in it now and unable to leave it again. It may have been a reasonable decision then, and the only one that allowed their survival. But staying in it decreases their chances to survive in the long run; they'd be better of leaving it again, but by increasing prices they're doing precisely the contrary--they reinforce the corporate image of a maker of exclusive items for an elitist market.

Now we all know the Japanese economy has been in the tank for the last 10 years. Luxury items once being consumed to no end in Japan is not what it used to be. Perhaps by jacking up the price, Leica can offset the drop in volume....a double edged sword indeed for that kind of rationale.