who loves/hates the current version 50 Elmarit?

gee-bug

I'm considering the 50E as a compliment to my Noct. I had the

current v 50 Cron, and didn't love it, so don't try to convince me I

need it. I like the smallness/lightness idea of the 50E. There was

once a person here that used the 50E and had a great website with

phenomenal photographs, who was that? Your opinions on the current

50E please...

I have one and like it. But if you really want smallness and lightness, and don't need speed (Noct for that, right?) it's hard to beat an LTM 3.5 Elmar. Although smaller than a Summicron, the current Elmar isn't all that small collapsed, especially with the lens hood and a filter mounted. The old 3.5 is surprisingly sharp, and compares well with the new 2.8 especially around f8 or f11. The front-mounted aperture control is a bit tricky when using ttl metering on an M6, though.

I too have the 50E and am very satisfied with it. Whether it has the ultimate sharpness of the 'cron or not, I don't know. If there's a difference, I think it must be a very small one indeed. Such charts as I've seen (yawn) bear this out.

On a tactile note, it has the smoothest focussing ring of any Leica lens I have, or have ever had.

True enough that when extended with the hood and/or a filter on, it ain't much smaller than a 'cron; but at least you have the option of shrinking it down. I've used it to perfectly good effect without the hood, too.

BTW, it's called the 'Elmar' even though it's 2.8 and strictly should be 'Elmarit' - I believe it was given that name, despite the inconsistency with normal practice, due to it being the descendant of the original collapsible Elmar.

Its a great lens, and as Paul said, can be stripped down to the size of the old Elmar by simply removing the lens hood. Its also far easier to use than the old Elmar as the aperture ring doesn't rotate at the same time as the focus ring. The performance is underated, and for most situations it will give results very similar to a 'cron.

I rather think I'd like to try the Elmar sometime. I don't find the Summicron as nice as people say (though mine has seen a lot of life and perhaps something's gone out of alignment).

At the risk of being burned at the stake, the nicest all round 50mm I ever had was a Jupiter 8 on an old Kiev. I must have been really lucky and got the one that was properly assembled because this had that soft sharpness that people rave about and you seldom see. Unfortunately, if the lens was a winner, the body was a tired, sick, old dog and I got rid of it. One of my bigger mistakes. I should have found another body and kept the lens.

Ken, I once had the lens and it is well worth the relatively small

price. I can attest to Jamies' use of the lens judging by the

portfolio of his prints I recently added to my growing collection of

forum shooters work.

If I succumb to the smaller size and mechanical charms of the

MP, I will be getting another one to make up a small, everyday

carry-around kit.

the elmar is a superb lens. the only lens test i ever did was the elmar against my 50 summilux. at the same apertures i found the elmar contrastier with nicer out of focus rendering. i got rid of my lux.

the speed issue is not such a big one. with an slr it is more important to have a fast lens, as it helps focussing a lot. with a rangefinder that is no issue, a slower lens allows more floppyness with focussing without affecting the view. the elmar is in my opinion the perfect suiter to a 35 cron.

Some or all of Mike Johnson's points might be valid. I've always found him to be reasonably objective, while still being an enthusiast. I personally found the lens (50 Elmar) difficult to open and "set" quickly, which would be a downside to snapshooting.

I think the point Mike often misses vis-a-vis Leica lenses, however, is that the strengths of the Leica M offset any minor quirks in the lenses. For example, Mike has never said great things about the 50mm Summilux, but the the Leica M and Summilux combination is the one you would have to pry from my cold, dead fingers.

If you want a film camera with a quiet shutter, precision rangefinder in a small package, the M with a 50 Elmar is a very compelling package. In fact, it's the only game in town.

<I>If you want a film camera with a quiet shutter, precision rangefinder in a small package, the M with a 50 Elmar is a very compelling package. <B>In fact, it's the only game in town.</B></I><P>

I don't know... a M camera with a ready-to-shoot 35mm Summicron (version 4) is as small as a M camera with a collapsed <B>not</B>-ready-to-shoot Elmarit, plus it gives one more stop of aperture to boot. A fully extended Elmarit is only 6mm shorter than a 50mm Summicron, but with a one-stop loss in aperture. Any size advantage or the Elmarit can only be considered when the lens is collapsed for transport... not exactly the best configuration for a Leica M camera.

Point taken Al!

The one lens I ever owned that I really regret selling was a 40mm Summicron C. Beautifully compact and sharp. I do think though that for putting a Leica in the jacket pocket, as opposed to not carrying it, the elmar is the one to beat. I'm also partial to 50s, as opposed to 35s.

take care,

Tom

I could be wrong but I believe Mr. Jamie Drouin only added the 50 Elmar recently. Most of his work is done by 50 Summicron. He did promise to give a feedback to this Forum after he use the 50 Elmar for a while. Have I missed his thread?

Chi

Ke, It seems that you are set in buying the 50E, If I were you, DOn't know where you live, But I wlould rent one for a weekend ands just go out & try it. I have the cron and cant complain. Though, I'say that with the 50E, that is as compact as one could get.

The Jamie Drouin site is very inspiring. he is very good!!! I enjoyed viewing his site immensely.

Thanks for all your advice. Well I did it: just got a mint used chrome 50E for $350 from Joe Hollins at <a href="http://www.denverprophoto.com" target=_blank>Denver Pro Photo</a>. Joe also gave me a deal on the little belt pack and wrist strap too, brand new for $70 (usually $129). I highly recommend doing business with Denver Pro Photo. So far, I'm in love with the lens: the focus ring is smooth as silk - better than the cron I had. I'll give a review when I get some film developed.