Problem with old Minolta TLR

peter_kim2

Hello! I just bought a Minoltaflex (early version of the autocord)

on ebay. I took it out to shoot and developed a roll of film. All

the pictures seem to be reasonably well exposed, however they are

all out of focus! (the taking lens focused fine) I dont think it is

camera blur, as there is no bluring, just out of focus.

I was wondering if I could get any advice on this problem. I talked

with Mark Hama before I received it and he said a CLA would cost

$125. Would repairing this kind of problem be part of a CLA? Is it a

problem that he would easily be able to spot and correct? Other than

that I like it very much and want to keep it...I just wished it

worked out of the box...:(

Thank you much!

Peter

Peter, Just be sure to tell whomever you decide to fix the TLR to specifically confirm the focus accuracy, and to do a shutter overhaul. Also, I think that the short list of people who you contact to fix that TLR ought to include Mark Hama, Paul Ebel in Wisconsin, and Ross Yerkes in L.A. They all have great reputations.

It's certainly possible that the focusing screen is out of the proper focusing plane.

Peter,

<P>

If the shutter is working fine then just have the focus adjusted and save the money on the CLA. When I CLA a camera I will typically check the focus and film advance to insure that everything is working propperly before sending it out; however, if the focus is way out from where it should be, usually it will cost the customer more money in the end, since it will take more time to fix.<p>

Also, I would be winning to take a look at the problem for probably half what Mark Hama quoted you. <p>

Happy Shooting,

Mark

One thing I'd suggest. With no film in the camera, open the back and open the shutter on "B". (You may have to charge the shutter with the back closed??) Then look through the lens at a bright light to make sure that the elements on the inner side of the shutter are clear. I had received a Yashica 124. The first rolls of film I ran through it were all out of focus. The lens visible from the front of the camera was beautifully clear. However the inside surface of the rear element was covered in fungus and badly pitted. The surface appeared so opaque that I was surprised that I got any image at all. I had to have the lens replaced.

Tom