Nikon Z9 Firmware 5.0 Announced

ShunCheung

18 minutes ago, Rob Davies said:

The usual pain-free update, probably about 6 minutes as usual.

The only difference is you have to do it twice to get the GPS update.

I downloaded the new firmware from a Windows machine, and the downloaded file is a binary .bin file, not the previous .exe wrapper. Therefore, you just place the .bin file on the root (upper most) folder on the CFexpess card. Nikon has been using that new process the last couple of times. And I also did the upgrade twice, the second time to upgrade the GNSS (GPS) firmware version from 0.07 to 0.17.

• Like 1

I'm guessing there has to be a hardware reason there's no PixelShift for the Z9?

......and why isn't Bird mode available for AutoCapture in either the Z8 or Z9? It's a very obvious use for nestbox or frequent perch shooting, although I do like the timer addition.

6 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

I'm guessing there has to be a hardware reason there's no PixelShift for the Z9?

......and why isn't Bird mode available for AutoCapture in either the Z8 or Z9? It's a very obvious use for nestbox or frequent perch shooting, although I do like the timer addition.

Well, none of us work for Nikon or if we did, we probably wouldn't be able to talk about product details. 😉  From the past Z8 and Z9 update history, most features are the same, but the latest updates always seem to include something the other camera didn't get,  in this case wide-open viewing for manual focus mode, and in the Z8's case there is Pixel shift. I imagine the reasons for this can be twofold: 1) product differentiation: Nikon would like people to find each model exciting on its own and justify for people to purchase that particular model, even if we already own some other cameras. 2) Nikon firmware engineers didn't have enough time to implement and test all features and so the FW updates are launched with what they finished on time.

Bird detection could be more demanding computationally and maybe it would adversely affect battery performance in Auto Capture? Or there could be some issue that they haven't been able to resolve yet. I don't know. 😉 They may also want to sell the Z9 II and Z8 II models soon, so leave something for those models perhaps. 😉 

• Like 1

Steve Perry at Backcountry has a video on how to do firmware updates for Nikon Z bodies. He covers the just released Z 9 firmware. At the end he talks about how to do firmware updates for lenses which is different than for Z bodies. It is pretty comprehensive and worth looking at if you think you need help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2wu9NpFqAg

I had no problems with doing the update for my Z9. And that included doing it twice for the GPS update. Each took about 6 minutes. 

1 hour ago, joseph_smith3 said:

I had no problems with doing the update for my Z9. And that included doing it twice for the GPS update. Each took about 6 minutes. 

Neither did I. In summary, these are the steps:

1. If you have no lens for FTZ adapter attached, the camera will initially show updating camera (C) firmware from 4.10 (or earlier) to 5.00. No GNSS (GPS G) firmware is displayed.
  2. After C is 5.00, it will also show the GNSS (GPS G) firmware at 0.07.
  3. And then it update G from 0.07 to 0.17, while C stays at 5.00.
  4. At the end C will be 5.00 and G 0.17

As Joe Smith mentioned, each one of steps 1 and step 3 takes about 6+ minutes.

_Z9A8769.jpg.10ed9a895c198828ff3fac94e25681ef.jpg

_Z9A8776.jpg.5cbce8ea4d6e6c2a7a7f1aa87211308f.jpg

_Z9A8778.jpg.71df0b1f3f0d2f5d85c676524d0df87f.jpg

_Z9A8787.jpg.342fc3f0a1a6e8884738189c939564fe.jpg