Sensitive high ISO film?

Ricochetrider

I’ve moved lately, to shooting some high ISO film stocks: Cinestill 800T & Kodak Porta 800, specifically. 

I think I need to start loading this stuff into my camera under a blanket or coat, have a look at these two pix. I loaded this film in my car’s front seat on a cloudy, dark-ish day, the first two shots are “artifact-y” and all frames after are A OK. 

Kind of a PIA but I love the look these films give me. Are 800 speed films really this sensitive? Because it seems they are. Here are the first 2 pix on the roll. 
Jasselblad 500cm, Zeiss 80mm Planar lens. 

---_0170.thumb.jpeg.c02b308b5a9ce0d5f1d6a306081f9a1e.jpeg

---_0171.thumb.jpeg.1a244e55cb4e47744eadae136d87f401.jpeg

and here are the next 2

---_0172.thumb.jpeg.9d751c0310022df47f9c72c90746ac60.jpeg

---_0174.thumb.jpeg.7ae7ba003f2ac5681307d6037cbe4d8d.jpeg

All remaining pix on this roll are fine, no issues. 

Edited by Ricochetrider

When I shot a fair amount of 35 mm Fuji 800 color negative back in the day I never had an issue with light fogging when loading into various Pentax SLRs. I would suspect that this film isn't wound tightly enough around the take up spool or some other issue if you haven't had this problem with slower film in the same camera when working outdoors in bright daylight.

• Like 1

'Spool creep' is a well-known issue with rollfilm; where the film has a sloppy winding with sufficient gap between layers to allow a streak of fogging. It's more common at the end of a roll when unloading though. So are you sure it's the first frames that are fogged and not the last?

When I shot MF I used to keep a 6" wide strip of kitchen foil in the gadget bag; to quickly wrap unloaded rolls in and keep them light-tight.

4 hours ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

'Spool creep' is a well-known issue with rollfilm; where the film has a sloppy winding with sufficient gap between layers to allow a streak of fogging. It's more common at the end of a roll when unloading though. So are you sure it's the first frames that are fogged and not the last?

When I shot MF I used to keep a 6" wide strip of kitchen foil in the gadget bag; to quickly wrap unloaded rolls in and keep them light-tight.

Hi Joe.

Definitely the first of this roll. I got only 11 scans back so until I see the negatives, I wont know exacty but these are either frames 1&2 or 3&4. All others from the roll are A OK. Just to better understand, are you saying I should pre-wind the film onto the spool tighter as I load it? I typically try to keep a finger on as I pre-wind each roll, to keep it tight, but it seems I may need to be more "in the moment" with high ISO films. 

As an aside, This area of the quonset hut is being cleared for a freeway exapanion project. I havent been past lately, but I hear that the structure has now been demolished and is forever gone. Glad I made the effort to get out and get these shots. 

Edited by Ricochetrider

• 1 month later...

To state the obvious, all film is extremely light sensitive. The light "contamination" here is not specific to the fact you're shooting ISO 800 film - you could get the same with ISO 50 film. I think you've just been unlucky/sloppy at some point in loading/unloading/handling your film. Obviously rollfilm is not in a little light-tight cassette like 135 film - you don't necessarily need to load the film under a jacket, but you do just need to take care - especially in unloading. Most of the time, we avoid light leaks, but that one time when you're being a bit too casual is when it's going to happen. I've had the same thing happen myself.

I bought a bunch of small elastic bands and always put one around each exposed roll - I just don't trust the adhesive strip on its own. I also bought some disposable/resealable black Mylar pouches, and keep my exposed film inside there, and even send my film to the lab like that too.