Lock the focus box in place?

John Di Leo

By that I mean, can the focus box be set to be fixed in one place, like the center of the frame?

Being old school, or maybe just old, I can focus in the center of the box and then reframe.

The problem I am having with the z8 is the "sub-selector." It moves the box, and that is a good feature until it isn't. The multi selector does this also, but it is far less likely to happen to me because it is out of the way and doesn't stick out. The sub selector does stick out right near where my thumb rests and it gets inadvertently moved, then when shooting you have to look around to see where the box is and deal with that one way or another.

Firmware 2.0 helps it by making the box more visible, but I did not want to upgrade before MG day.

Later, I will have more to comment on using the z8 for street, especially the fast moving crowded "street" of a celebration like Mardi Gras.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of followup...since I updated the firmware to 2.0 and made the box perimeter thicker, I can see it much more easily.

I may turn focus lock off and see how I like it now that the focus box is visible.