DARK CLOTH????????

ardea

I have a dark cloth that I purchased when I got my Shen-Hoa 4x5. It's

so big and heavy it could double as a storm jib on a 50 foot cutter.

Any suggestion on a lightweight functional DC ? What about the BTZS

cloth?

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Richard

Harrison (makers of the film changing tents) make a good one. It is waterproof and silver on one side and black inside. It is fitted with velcro to keep it closed and has an elasticated edge that fits snugly around the bellows/back of the camera. It is a fair size, nearly 5 foot square but is lightweight compared with others I've tried!

I went to fabric shop and looked through all the black materials, held them up to the light, etc. I found one that was lightweight, yet it let through very little light. It's a synthetic material. I purchased enough to double it over, and my wife sewed it around the edges. Even doubled, it's light weight. It also doesn't crease, which is interesting. Being light, it does tend to flap in the wind a little more than a heavier cloth. But, clipping it to the camera helps.

I don't know the name of the material. Perhaps I can find out. The think probably didn't cost more than about $5.

Richard, you don't list the actual size of your dark cloth. I tend to agree with Aaron....I use a Zone VI cloth. It's 4'x5'. I had a couple smaller cloths over the years, a tiny black cloth and a larger slicker cloth. (I think from Calumet.) The slick cloth slid away over the years, as did the black cloth. The cotton Zone VI remains in service after 22 years. I confess I have often thought about making a somewhat smaller one, but never when actually using it. The size allows you to back away from the groundglass and the weight will help keep the cloth from blowing away in the wind. I've never used it as a storm jib, but it does keep me warm while shooting.

I too have a BTZS dark cloth.I like its size. I thoroughly hate the elastic sewn into it. The fit is far too tight to enable one to use and remove it easily from the camera.Please note: I ordered three of them eventually, one for 4x5 one for 8x10 and one for 5x7. Only the 8x10 gave me adequate space for easy removing. And it was too large.

I had someone sew me a darkcloth made of white nylon backed with ultrasuede. It is the larger square design, but with velcro added it is very effective.

My ideal would be the BTZS made of ultrasuede and nylon with velcro not elastic.

Bob

I took Dhananjay's advice and went with a T-shirt. Went down to my local t-shirt shop, got the cheapest ash grey and black X-Large shirts they had, $5 total. I put the black inside the grey, then went to the alterations shop to have the two necklines sewn together, $12. While she was at it, she threaded a bootlace into the neck, like a drawstring. Add the springloaded keeper and the cost of the bootlace, $3. Total of $20, plus tax and driving around.

I just used it today to shoot some climbing ivy in the backyard. Put the neckhole completely over the back standard and tighten the drawstring. Just stick your head in at the waist opening and it functions as a nice little dark hood for focusing. In full sun, I could see light coming through the weave, but for all practical purposes the ground glass was in full darkness. When all is ready, just pull the shirts forward over the bellows and insert the film holder.

I think the only real problem is that the shirts are a little too long. It would work fine with about 6 inches less shirt tail. Maybe next time I'll start with a woman's half shirt.

Part of the mystique of LF photography, to me at least, is the experience of composing and focusing the groundglass image. The more I can exclude the world that is not coming in via the lens and groundglass, the better I like it. My darkcloth is three layers, heavy and 3'x4'. When it's not on the camera I use the velcro to fasten it around my neck and wear it like a vampire's cape. I think it helps to convince passersby that I'm crazy enough to be left alone. Hey, whatever it takes...

My 2 cents:

After a hefty dousing by a "sneaker wave" on the CA coast, I finally got around to making my own GoreTex darkcloth. I mail ordered white GoreTex material and backed it with a non-slip, lightweight, opaque black coat lining material I found in a local fabric store. The local shoemaker sewed it together with velcro around all edges for not very much. It is big enough to wear as a rain cape or cover me and the camera from any future sneaker waves, but rolls up to a "sausage" 3-inches around and 14-inches long that easily straps to the back of my pack. Total weight, 10 oz. or so. I could get by with a smaller one even, but this one is working fine. The white reflects the heat, the GoreTex makes it completely waterproof and the velcro closures hold it to the camera and to itself and keep it from flapping around in the wind.

Regards, ;^D)

Bob Moulton -

I also had the same complaint about my BTZS darkcloth fitting too tight around the camera. Frequently, the camera would move when I attempted to remove the cloth and I would have to recompose all over again. I sent the cloth back and they gladly loosened it for me at no charge. The cloth has worked flawlessly ever since.