The Rocca Automatic / Montanus Super Reflex / Edixa 6x6 – an Unusual and Rare TLR

John Seaman

Some years ago I did a post about the Ultraflex mid-1950's TLR, made in Germany by Montanus:

LINK --- https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/486300-fun-with-an-ultraflex/

Yesterday I received its stablemate, the Rocca Automatic, also sold as the Montanus Super Reflex and Edixa 6x6. It's very similar in design and futuristic style to the knob wind Ultraflex, but with lever film advance and automatic shutter cocking. They were made by the Potthoff Company in Solingen, and are rather rare, having been sold relatively briefly.

The non-folding advance lever turns forward through 360 degrees, unlike the Rollei style forward and back method. The loaded film is wound manually with the larger knob on the left until the number 1 appears in the base red window, when the film counter is manually reset. The auto mechanism then takes over. and hopefully gives 12 exposures. Like the Ultraflex it has a removable viewing hood, released via a button on the side which also opens the back., and like the Ultraflex it has a glass sports finder window in the top. When I saw the U shaped thing on the side in the auction listing I thought was some kind of flash attachment. It's actually the focusing lever, cleverly designed so that it can easily be operated by the user's thumb.

My camera has a badly cracked viewing lens, probably the camera was dropped which has also pushed the lens back somewhat, so focus is problematic. It's also missing its pressure plate, so isn't currently usable. Otherwise the Rodenstock Trinar F/2.9  taking lens looks fine and the Prontor SVS shutter works well on all speeds, except ”B” which stays open for some reason.

I can't find the instruction manual, but Butkus does have a rather attractive sales brochure. The makers seem to have been very ambitious for it, it's a shame it wasn't very successful.

Here's two shots of the camera and a page of the brochure. That's it for now, and thanks for looking.

RoccafPN.jpg

RoccasuPN.jpg

RoccabrochPN.jpg

Edited by John Seaman
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, John Seaman said:

... released via a button on the side which also opens the back...

That sounds a little alarming... 

That is a very interesting TLR that I have never seen.

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

Good write up John, I appreciate reading about odd brand cameras.

It's a pity it has no pressure plate, perhaps you could find one that goes close and attach it somehow.

For running a roll of film through to test the camera, you may be able to temporarily use some sheet sponge rubber between the inside of the door and the film. Just a thought.

6 hours ago, kmac said:

perhaps you could find one that goes close and attach it somehow

Thanks for the comments. Kmac, I do have a Rolleicord pressure plate but the method of attachment is quite different. I'm trying to work out how to adapt it. Tom, the button is quite stiff and would be hard to operate accidentally.

I should add the camera was bought "as is" and the defects were disclosed. The winding mechanism does seem to work, and feels reasonably robust. The handle turns clockwise full circle to advance the film and cock the shutter. When the counter gets to 12 the handle locks part way around. After making the 12th exposure you have to turn the handle backwards, causing a ratcheting noise, which movement resets the counter to "1". This based on my trial and error, its a shame I can't find a full manual.

Edited by John Seaman