Rolleiflex to Mamiya 6 and back. Some thoughts.

Colin O

This isn't so much about getting an answer to a question, as it is just about me getting something off my chest...

I enjoy shooting film. A few years ago I decided to get my first medium format camera. I did a bit of research and settled on a Rolleiflex 3.5F. After monitoring eBay for some time, I finally got one that was in good shape and not overly expensive. That was in 2017. The camera is of course not perfect, but I've come to love using it and love my results. One thing about film - for me - is that I tend to like my scans straight from the lab. The only post-processing I do is some minor cropping/rotation sometimes. I find it all quite fulfilling.

Some time ago, I decided that I (additionally) wanted a wider angle. Again, after a bit of research, I decided on a Mamiya 6 MF with 50mm lens. I thought the different body styles could be an interesting contrast - rangefinder and TLR - and the Mamiya was reputedly an excellent camera. But, I have to say, I've discovered that I just hate the process of taking photos with it. It almost feels like an overgrown point-and-shoot - I feel so detached from the photo. With the Rolleiflex, I just look down at the ground-glass and I see this beautiful "moving photograph" in front of my eyes - but with the Mamiya, I just can't visualise anything when I bring the camera to my eye.

Last year I encountered a 0.7x Mutar in excellent condition for sale and I couldn't pass it up. This is a dedicated Zeiss-designed screw-on adapter for the Rolleiflex, which effectively gives the same angle of view as a ~54mm lens. It also focuses closer than the Mamiya - down to about 50cm vs 100cm for the Mamiya 50mm lens. The only downside is it's awkward to mount/dismount, and I envisage having to always take care not to drop it. Also, the camera looks like a bit of a Frankenstein's monster when it's mounted!

So, anyway, I've essentially decided that I'm going to re-sell the Mamiya kit. And somehow I feel bad about it - that's what prompted this "confession" - because it is a lovely camera in ways, and it is always touted as a great travel camera, which is how I classify a lot of my photography. But, I guess, rangefinders are just not for everyone.

Incidentally, I've been thinking about my "perfect" camera, and I think it just doesn't exist. In my dreams it would be something like a Nikon F6 but taking 6x6 or 645 images. Medium format SLRs are just so massive, cumbersome, heavy and obtrusive.

I've always preferred reflex viewing to viewfinders. The only rangefinders I've ever used with large,  pleasant to use finders have been my Fujica GL690 "Texas Leica" and a Koni Omega Rapid. They have interchangeable lenses but I've only ever had the standard lenses. Come to think of it, you need auxiliary finders to use wide angle lenses  on those. And they aren't exactly small or light.

Are you happy with the image quality from the Mutar?

auxiliary finders

Edited by John Seaman

2 hours ago, John Seaman said:

Are you happy with the image quality from the Mutar?

Yes, I am. I read that it works best if you stick to apertures of f/5.6-f/8 or narrower, so I do so. (On top of that, it needs an extra ½-⅔ stops of exposure, so I guess it does work best in good light.) There is obvious barrel distortion in the image through the viewing lens, but I guess the taking lens section is better corrected because the actual photographs don't show the distortion and I've been quite happy with my results so far.

• Like 1

Equipment questions like this always come back to personal taste.  Once you get past a certain level of reasonable technical quality and reliability, the differences between competing brands really come down to whether or not a particular camera and lens(es) make sense to the photographer.  For most of my life for practical reasons my cameras have all been reflex (35 mm or Rolleiflex) or 4x5 view cameras.  I did own a Mamiya Universal with three lenses and multiple backs including Polaroid that I used for certain assignments but never really loved, despite the quality of the images I made with it.   Over the last ten years I have gotten into Contax RF cameras and lenses from the 1930's and 1950's for my own personal work.  I have enjoyed the change from my commercial work which has been done with DSLRs both for the use of B&W film and the change to old time metal construction from the plasticky feel of most modern digital cameras, no matter how much better they really are in terms of sharpness and color accuracy.  I still own two Rolleiflexes--a 3.5 E and a 2.8 D.  The 3.5 E fits my hands perfectly and it is the most intuitive camera that I have ever owned.  Image quality from its Zeiss Planar lens has always been superb, and I would use it more now if 120 film hadn't gone up so much in price.  So if the Rollei works for you, don't feel the least bit guilty about moving the Mamiya 6 on to someone else who will really appreciate it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colin O said:

On top of that, it needs an extra ½-⅔ stops of exposure, so I guess it does work best in good light.

I got the advice wrong - the recommended increase in exposure when using the Mutar is not ½-⅔ stops, but rather ⅓-½ stops. Not very significant, but I just wanted to set the record straight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 12:01 AM, Colin O said:

Incidentally, I've been thinking about my "perfect" camera, and I think it just doesn't exist. In my dreams it would be something like a Nikon F6 but taking 6x6 or 645 images. Medium format SLRs are just so massive, cumbersome, heavy and obtrusive.

Well, the Mamiya 6 is almost the same bulk as the F6. It do away with the dilemma image quality vs load to carry,

The rangefinder makes it possible... even the smallest 6x6 reflex (Rollei,Hasselblad) are not as "handholdable" as the 6.

After a while, you get used to rangefinders and appreciate their advantages...unless there is a need of checking the image on the screen (DoF, plane of focus, precise framing). In this case, RF cameras are not the right choice. I'm stuck to Mamiya, and depending on the task I take the 6 or a RZ.

So the perfect option is... to have both, RF and SLR 😉

Edited by jose_angel
  • Like 1