Canon Photo Thursday January 4, 2024

Happy Thursday, January 4th, 2024, to all Canon Shooters and Photography enthusiasts.

Once again it is time for this week's Canon Photo Thursday.  And so a new year begins. 

This is your chance to share your epic, fun, cool, and/or interesting photo with everyone here on PN. Show us your vision, your style, your projects, your travels, adventures, photo missions or just something you shot that captured your fancy. You all know the drill, post one, two, three, or more photos shot from your Canon EOS Camera (SLR or DSLR or Mirrorless, PowerShot, Rangefinder). Was your camera made by Canon? If so, post your shots.

Wishing Everyone a Happy Healthy New Year 2024!

Canon 5D MK IV and this week has been working with a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art lens.

85mm selfie RGB IEC61966-2 No.44215-1.jpg

85mm NewCumberland RGB IEC61966-2 No.44359-1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Yes! 1
Cheers, Mark

Testing my R7 to see how well it focuses on faces. Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 @ f1.8 with a compact Vello softbox attachment. It's close but I think it focused on my eye lashes.

I just got a Metabones FD to RF adapter but I cannot get the R7 to fire the shutter with an FD lens attached yet. I must be missing something in the camera's settings. I'll keep trying.

Happy New Year everyone!

1Y0A0370-Enhanced-NR.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ajkocu said:

Testing my R7 to see how well it focuses on faces. Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 @ f1.8 with a compact Vello softbox attachment. It's close but I think it focused on my eye lashes.

I just got a Metabones FD to RF adapter but I cannot get the R7 to fire the shutter with an FD lens attached yet. I must be missing something in the camera's settings. I'll keep trying.

Happy New Year everyone!

1Y0A0370-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I posted a question in B&H about the Metabones adapter not letting the R7 shutter release and someone responded with the answer. I thought I had looked through the menu on the camera but I missed Custom Setting #4 to enable shutter release without a lens! All is good now. I'll be posting photos with the cheap Tokina 500mm mirror lens soon!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ajkocu said:

to enable shutter release without a lens!

Although I don't use adapters, etc., the solution dawned on me as I recall reading that solution "somewhere".  However I was reluctant to offer that solution because it was based on my recollection of "something that I had read  somewhere."  I'm glad you found the solution and look forward to what you post.  

BTW - again without context, I thought I read "somewhere" that you lose infinity focus using an adapter.  Perhaps you'll let us know if this is the case with your setup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmanthree said:

A few from the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. All taken with the 8-15 fisheye zoom. My favorite guilty pleasure.

BY3A5708.jpg

BY3A5710.jpg

BY3A5712.jpg

BY3A5730.jpg

Excellent use of that fisheye!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:14 AM, zakslm said:

Although I don't use adapters, etc., the solution dawned on me as I recall reading that solution "somewhere".  However I was reluctant to offer that solution because it was based on my recollection of "something that I had read  somewhere."  I'm glad you found the solution and look forward to what you post.  

BTW - again without context, I thought I read "somewhere" that you lose infinity focus using an adapter.  Perhaps you'll let us know if this is the case with your setup. 

I understand what you mean about reading something somewhere about losing infinity focus! I read somewhere that the problem was adapting FD lenses to the EF lens mount. There are adapters that have an optical element that supposedly enables infinity focus. The RF mount of Canon's R series cameras uses a shorter back focus (if I'm saying that right) which leaves room for an adapter which enables infinity focus. Canon's EF to RF adapter allows full functionality of the EF lenses on RF mount according to Canon and what I've seen agrees with that. I have not seen a Canon FD to RF adapter, though.

With the Metabones adapter you can still use AV auto-exposure on the camera. The camera does not know what aperture you're using but it will adjust shutter speed and ISO.

Originally I was interested in using that 500mm mirror lens but I may keep a few other lenses which look okay so far. The weather has not been great for out-the-window lens testing right now but I did a few shots with the FD 50mm f/1.4 that look really good! The temperature difference between inside and outside is too great and I've gotten a lot of shimmering effect using the 500mm so I won't post those.

The cropped version of this photo is almost 100%

1Y0A0406-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

1Y0A0406-Enhanced-NR.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/5/2024 at 11:20 AM, ajkocu said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Really sharp and the lens has a nice bokeh.

Cheers, Mark