Evolution.

pavel_l.

Crop out the conduit and meter at the right, which crowd the right edge anyway. Then you have a strong, 3-element composition, with a completely conventional door and window, and something very odd: a clock on an outside wall. Maybe trim the bottom, too. Experiment with the cropping.

The graffiti, or whatever it is, is also interesting. Increase its contrast a bit to make it more visible.

This has the makings of a fine photograph!

On 12/22/2023 at 6:49 PM, marc_rochkind said:

Crop out the conduit and meter at the right, which crowd the right edge anyway. Then you have a strong, 3-element composition, with a completely conventional door and window, and something very odd: a clock on an outside wall. Maybe trim the bottom, too. Experiment with the cropping.

The graffiti, or whatever it is, is also interesting. Increase its contrast a bit to make it more visible.

This has the makings of a fine photograph!

Thank you Marc, I'll try your version.

Cheers.

Edited by pavel_l.

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

Given the "Evolution" theme, I think that the conduit belongs. It's clearly a crude add-on to an existing structure, like the added brick on the left (that might be the primary structure).

The clock on the outside of the building is perhaps a story unto itself, but I think that the bricks and conduit support the evolution theme and the clock is an added mystery.

I wouldn't change a thing.

On 12/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, dcstep said:

Given the "Evolution" theme, I think that the conduit belongs. It's clearly a crude add-on to an existing structure, like the added brick on the left (that might be the primary structure).

The clock on the outside of the building is perhaps a story unto itself, but I think that the bricks and conduit support the evolution theme and the clock is an added mystery.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you dcstep. Yes, removing the conduit will ruin the meaning. The time (on clock) is the cornerstone of evolution.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Chris Frith.

I look look look at walls and compositions, especially when I have a camera strapped around my neck. There may be something here, I say to myself. So we draw the viewfinder up. But then again, no. Which I call non-photos. And why this doesn’t succeed is that our eyes are drawn to the door, which doesn’t have enough of anything of interest. Our eyes are drawn to the meter area, which doesn’t have enough shadow space to the right. Break rules ! Keep shooting! 

22 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Nice photo. I just don't like the title. My main 'focus of interest'  in thisSo n photo is the (outside) clock. So a title like 'The Clock' would IMHO be more interesting.

Interesting take, Mike. I DO think that the clock is the oddest element, but the other elements are quite intriguing to me. The building is old and has been modified quite a bit, yet the door looks brand new and neatly done, while the meter looks like very haphazard work. The chalk on the side of the building is an unknown story, a careless afterthought. I'm thinking "time" and "evolution" are the story. Changes are made over time, some with great care and some with complete carelessness, yet they all are surviving and here they are...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, chris_autio said:

I look look look at walls and compositions, especially when I have a camera strapped around my neck. There may be something here, I say to myself. So we draw the viewfinder up. But then again, no. Which I call non-photos. And why this doesn’t succeed is that our eyes are drawn to the door, which doesn’t have enough of anything of interest. Our eyes are drawn to the meter area, which doesn’t have enough shadow space to the right. Break rules ! Keep shooting! 

Thank you Chris. I was looking on this as a conceptual combination of the geometric forms, The meter was situated at the edge of wall.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:32 AM, mikemorrellNL said:

Nice photo. I just don't like the title. My main 'focus of interest'  in thisSo n photo is the (outside) clock. So a title like 'The Clock' would IMHO be more interesting.

Thank you Mike. I like the outside click too, but I decided to spice it up a little.

Edited by pavel_l.

Chris Frith.

22 hours ago, dcstep said:

Interesting take, Mike. I DO think that the clock is the oddest element, but the other elements are quite intriguing to me. The building is old and has been modified quite a bit, yet the door looks brand new and neatly done, while the meter looks like very haphazard work. The chalk on the side of the building is an unknown story, a careless afterthought. I'm thinking "time" and "evolution" are the story. Changes are made over time, some with great care and some with complete carelessness, yet they all are surviving and here they are...

Thanks to @pavel_l. for sharing this interesting photo!

Thanks to you and other for sharing your views! Your comment above inspired me to look at the photo with fresh eyes. And take enough time to fully appreciate the photo, which I didn't do first time around. You're right, evolution is a perfect title!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:32 PM, mikemorrellNL said:

@pavel_l., my apologies for not taking enough time to fully appreciate your photo first time around. The above comments - especially by @dcstep - prompted me to take the time to look at the photo again with fresh eyes. 
The first time, my attention was too focused on (= drawn to) the clock on the front wall. I just thought "why would anyone have a clock mounted on an outside wall of an old house?"
I now appreciate the 'evolution' title in terms of old to new(er). I can see it in the texture, color and 'pointing' of the brickwork. The juxtaposition between the old outside meter (+ cable) and the newer clock is wonderful. And as @dcstep pointed out to me, the front door and window look pretty new against the older brickwork and meter.

Your composition is perfect for illustrating the juxtaposition of all these old and elements!

So I unreservedly withdraw my original comment (above). And compliment you on finding this location and composing such a wonderful photo!

I too wouldn't change a thing!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dcstep said:

I love Pavel's work, but often don't get it, at least at first. (Sometimes never). He's so "deep." These discussions are often wonderful and enlightening.

That applies to me too. Let me address this comment directly to @pavel_l.:

Pavel,both @dcstep and  are agreed that we you love your work, perhaps because you always inspire us to 'think more' about the photos that you post. Always have a 'vision' (usually expressed in  title) for the photos you post. As @dcstep says, we don't always  'get it'. At first or never.

FWIW, I'm a volunteer at a national biennial Photo (more properly 'image') exhibition.  The exhibits are selected by a team of renowned international curators. TBH, many of the visitors just ''don't get' some exhibits. Even though these have been curated as having 'artistic value'.

So my bottom line is: do what you do and what gives you artistic satisfaction. Take the PN feedback that helps you progress. Just don't forget that they may be some members (including me) that don't always  your 'vision''  for photos

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 12:42 PM, dcstep said:

I love Pavel's work, but often don't get it, at least at first. (Sometimes never). He's so "deep." These discussions are often wonderful and enlightening.

On 1/7/2024 at 2:06 PM, mikemorrellNL said:

That applies to me too. Let me address this comment directly to @pavel_l.:

Pavel,both @dcstep and  are agreed that we you love your work, perhaps because you always inspire us to 'think more' about the photos that you post. Always have a 'vision' (usually expressed in  title) for the photos you post. As @dcstep says, we don't always  'get it'. At first or never.

FWIW, I'm a volunteer at a national biennial Photo (more properly 'image') exhibition.  The exhibits are selected by a team of renowned international curators. TBH, many of the visitors just ''don't get' some exhibits. Even though these have been curated as having 'artistic value'.

So my bottom line is: do what you do and what gives you artistic satisfaction. Take the PN feedback that helps you progress. Just don't forget that they may be some members (including me) that don't always  your 'vision''  for photos

dcstep, Mike I am really appreciate your warm and encouraging words about my photos.

I understand, that sometimes, my stories are too convoluted and/or too personal. The understanding of my message is the only one side of the coin, nothing is stopping the viewers to "read" them personally.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Chris Frith.