Disassembling APO-Telyt-R 180?

christer_medin1

Hello,

Posted on the Leica forum about this a while ago but nobody had any advice so trying here as well.  I have an APO-Telyt-R 180/3,4 in very good condition and produces some excellent images on my Nikon Z bodies.  However the front section is a bit "wobbly" and I'd like to address that issue.  I'm thinking that there are screws you can get to from the front somehow, but all I see is a notched retaining ring right by the front element, and the notches are basically covered by another ring above it; this one lacking any notches or other visible means of removal.  Have searched for repair/service manuals or part diagrams but no luck so far.  Anyone have a diagram over the construction or knowledge as to how it's assembled?  The front section that's loose is the last couple of inches or so where two parts of the barrel join together.  I can wiggle it and open up around a 1mm gap when doing so which obviously isn't ideal.

On 12/14/2023 at 6:15 PM, Gus Lazzari said:

"thinking that there are screws you can get to from the front somehow"

The key is to extract the 3 set screws contained in the Name tube (serial number etc.). This tube conceals the service access.

The rest of the way in the tear-down will utilize YOUR commonsense...

Thank you!  I removed the three set screws and slid the ring down a bit.  Underneath were three more screws and guess what?  One of those was loose and that was the problem.  Everything is good now.  I owe you one.