Z9 manual focus compatibility questions

nick_davis

I’ve heard that the ZF has subject detection in manual focus mode, as well as a digital “rangefinder” function (where the focus box turns green when focus is achieved) that works with older Nikon manual focus lenses.

My Z9 does not do this. Is this correct?

The focus box turning green feature seems to only work with cpu lenses, like my AF-D or Voigtlander lenses. With AI-S, AI, or AI converted S lenses it does not work. This seems odd to me since the focus confirmation works with all lenses on my D850.

Do I have a setting wrong or does the Z9 really lack this ability?

12 hours ago, nick_davis said:

I’ve heard that the ZF has subject detection in manual focus mode, as well as a digital “rangefinder” function (where the focus box turns green when focus is achieved) that works with older Nikon manual focus lenses.

My Z9 does not do this. Is this correct?

The focus box turning green feature seems to only work with cpu lenses, like my AF-D or Voigtlander lenses. With AI-S, AI, or AI converted S lenses it does not work. This seems odd to me since the focus confirmation works with all lenses on my D850.

Do I have a setting wrong or does the Z9 really lack this ability?

I don't have any Ai or Ai-S lenses to test but my understanding is that the Zf's focus confirmation (change of color of the box) also requires a CPU lens. It's also very very precise when subject-detection is enabled, it can be hard to turn the ring by small enough amount to get that level of detail that it satisfies that camera when it has detected the subject's eye. But's nice to have these options.

Focus peaking is another tool that the Z9 definitely has and you can use, though I find the change of color distracting when photographing people.