SLR Scanning — Would it be a Viable Business Proposition?

stephen_mcateer

I'm looking around for ways to supplement my income in the near-to-mid future [Might be losing my job].

Do we think scanning film with an SLR would be viable as a way to make a small income? 

I'm not looking to make huge amounts of money....

[I have intermediate Photoshop skills and can build WordPress websites.]

I would rather not be digitising thousands of old Kodachromes — I'm thinking more about medium format film 'Scanning' for enthusiasts.

Thanks for any insights.

With respect, most film shooters already have this sorted out. Surviving labs typically offer process/scan packages. DIY C-41 and b&w developers usually have a scanning set-up that suits them. It might work if you're surrounded by 120 shooters but, again, most have it worked out through labs or DIY workflow.

Archival scanning of shoeboxes of old negatives and slides likely won't fly. One-offs might but only with volume in the right community.

Edited by c_watson1

Seriously? Think about teaching people how to shoot film. Sounds silly but showing how exposure latitude works, how to use an ambient and/or spot meter, how to measure contrast--all voyages of discovery for film rookies. Film ain't cheap in late 2023 and knowing how to boost the "keeper" quotient seems a mystery for friends I've helped.

Edited by c_watson1
  • Like 1