The proper method for storing camera lenses

Farkle-Mpls

I'm not sure what forum this questions belongs in but I've been most active throughout the years in this and the Canon FD forum and I know a lot of collectors and users of older lenses hang out here.

Over the years, I've turned from "shooter" to "shooter/collector" and have amassed quite a few lenses.  Most are older -- 1950s-1980s -- and as the value of the collection has increased, it causes me more and more concern that I may uncap a lens to discover it has fogged or the cement holding the lens group together has begun to crystalize or ... whatever else can surprise us.

Mold isn't a huge concern in the chilly midwest US area where I live and A/C manages the humidity well in our summer months.  Also, I've always stored my bodies and lenses in well ventilated areas.  There is plenty of air circulation.

As I found hoods to go with almost all the vintage lenses (a fun project, I discovered), I began storing the lenses with the hoods on and the caps off thinking that getting some indirect lighting through the body of the lens might not be a bad thing.  (Not sure why I believe this, just figured this is what happens when you USE a lens so it shouldn't be detrimental ... hopefully.)

I assume there are some other collectors here OR simply people who use older lenses.  What has worked for you?

Thank you!

I have likewise become more of a user/collector over the last ten years, specifically Zeiss Contax cameras and lenses from the 1930's through the 1950's.  I have tried to maintain reasonable temperature/humidity levels as well and so far, a least, no major losses.  I do keep lenses capped and have good quality (B+W) brass mounted UV filters on all of my old lenses since some of them have very soft glass for the front elements and early lens coatings were not as robust as current lenses. I have expressly avoided the later Carl Zeiss lenses for the Contax because Zeiss went to synthetic epoxy lens cement by the mid 1950's which tends to fail spectacularly and this is very expensive to repair. I likewise have hoods for all of the lenses that will take them, but I have been less interested in authenticity and more interested  in protecting the lenses from damage and flare.  The Zeiss hoods for the 50 mm Sonnars from the 1950's, for example, block a lot of the viewfinder while inexpensive vented hoods from eBay work much better in practical terms. 

My more recent Pentax lenses (from the late 1970's and onward) get less care (no UV filters) but have all held up well under similar storage conditions. Almost all of these were purchased new and have received heavy professional use.  The barrels are a bit worn from usage, but optically and mechanically they all work as they should.

• Like 2