Date Codes in Film Chamber?

mike_sowsun

I recently bought an AE-1 to replace one I sold in 1989, when I switched to EOS AF film cameras, and then digital. Most Canon film cameras have a date code in the film chamber area, but I just noticed something unusual about my AE-1 (and maybe all AE-1s). The date code has the Greek “Omega” Ω symbol at the beginning. ΩU 750U is my date code, but the last U is worn off. Is there some reasoning to the Ω symbol? It seems like the other “A” series cameras don’t have the Ω symbol.

8D69705F-91CB-402E-90CF-F76DD6E8F956.jpeg

EBB2FA1D-0460-4156-88A9-9BD78A6D13E6.jpeg

Yes, this area is a minefield. The issue was that the date code was stamped when the camera was packaged to leave the factory. Thus, a camera could be made one year or more before the camera was released. This was certainly the case with the T-90 and the A-series, where towards the end, large batches were made and stockpiled before they ended production. The stamping was sometimes a bit ad hoc and amateurish, if I can use that word. And at the time that it happened, was anyone checking and quality assuring what the worker was doing? I doubt it.

I had a look on eBay and many of the date codes that were visible in the photos had the Greek “Omega” Ω symbol at the beginning. But some had other strange ones. 

I think this is an example of 𝚵 which is “Xi”.

AA68E4D3-B0AF-4EED-AE16-038414A45089.jpeg

Edited by mike_sowsun

25 years ago, when List Serv's were popular, there was a guy from Canon (Chuck Westphall?) on an FD list I was on.  He could tell you anything you wanted to know about date codes.  I do recall him saying that cameras that failed initial inspection were repaired and re-stamped.  Maybe some of these unorthodox symbols/letters/numbers relate to that.