Canon Photo Thursday October 26, 2023

Mark Keefer

Happy Thursday, October 26, 2023, to all Canon Shooters and Photography enthusiasts.

Once again it is time for this week's Canon Photo Thursday.  October is here and all the Autum colors and festivities that come with it, just waiting to be photographed.

This is your chance to share your epic, fun, cool, and/or interesting photo with everyone here on PN. Show us your vision, your style, your projects, your travels, adventures, photo missions or just something you shot that captured your fancy. You all know the drill, post one, two, three, or more photos shot from your Canon EOS Camera (SLR or DSLR or Mirrorless. Was your camera made by Canon? If so, post your shots).

Here are some shots from Beale Street, Memphis, Home of the Blues.

Canon 5D MK IV - 

Memphis Beale St Drinks to Go 42682 --.jpg

Memphis Beale St - Blues Club - 43120 (1 of 1).jpg

Memphis Beale St -Alfreds Live Music 42562-.jpg

• Like 12
  • On Point 1
Cheers, Mark

T7, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 1/60th @ f1.8 w/flash (430EX), ISO 400

Back story:

This shot is a test shot.  I just received an EF 85mm f1.8 USM that I purchased from KEH in "Ugly" condition at what I considered a "too good to pass up" price.  I had an 85mm f1.8 that I sold years ago when I sold my EOS film gear.  It was my favorite lens and I wish I had kept it.

When I opened the multiple layers of bubble wrap, the barrel and rear element of the lens looked great!  But the front element is another story.  It isn't obvious to me what happened to the lens - but a guess might be the marks/flaws were caused by a pretty rough cleaning or two or maybe the result of collision or abuse of some sort.  There are some pretty noticeable marks in a few places on the lens nearer the edges but not in the center of the front element.  The location of the marks might be described as follows:  Think of the sun as the middle of the lens with the planets orbiting around the it.  The marks are at about 10 and 5 o'clock (ish) in Saturn and Uranus' orbit with maybe a bit if the largest one touching Jupiter's orbit.

The mechanics function perfectly and the focus is quiet, fast and spot on.  From the few dozen test shots I've taken, the marks on the front element do not seem to affect picture quality and images appear sharp and well exposed.  The shot of my dog is from a raw file of a shot taken at f1.8/wide open with a little editing in post.  Since I have a crop sensor camera, that may make a difference as well with the outer part of the image circle created by lens not hitting the sensor. 

I haven't had a chance to take any shots in outdoor/sunlight but will do so tomorrow to see if I get any unusual flare or ghosting which I think may happen.

It's still too early to definitely say the lens is a keeper, but if the images I take outdoor are acceptable the lens may stay in my bag.

Thoughts, comments, observations and advice are certainly welcome!

IMG_5251j.JPG

Edited by zakslm
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Trigger_Happy said:

I managed to visit the top of the natural park we have outside out little house in Albir, Spain. It was quite a walk and I had not prepared as it didn't occur to me that I should have. Age sort of creeps up on you.

I shot this with the macro. I must admit it didn't turn out great. 

_D8A6302---Copy.jpg

Yes! Many of us know that age creeps up on us! That looks like a large city. Is that Albir? I was in Madrid, Segovia, Ávila, Toledo and Barcelona. 

12 hours ago, ajkocu said:

Yes! Many of us know that age creeps up on us! That looks like a large city. Is that Albir? I was in Madrid, Segovia, Ávila, Toledo and Barcelona. 

What you see in the image is Benidorm. It used to be a holiday resort for madrileños (people from Madrid) but it is nowadays very popular destination for the British. I've only been there once and it doesn't really have the same ambiance as Altea and Albir. Albir is a more low key town formed originally by fishermen and their families. 

Of the places you've mentioned I have only been to Madrid and Barcelona. My favorite (after Valencia of course) is Madrid. It's a beautiful town with breathtaking architecture. I loved el Prado. Planning on going there again before Christmas. 

• Like 1