Lens separation - how does it affect images?

I thought others here might find the results below interesting. And I would be interested in hearing your experiences with the effects of lens separations, should you have any such first hand.

I had an opportunity to borrow a Rolleiflex 3.5 E2 with a Carl Zeiss Planar lens suffering from servere separation in the front group - probably covering 50% of the inner surface area.
I was curious to see how or if it would affect the results, primarily sparked by some individuals who claimed the camera only had value as a parts source.

I informally ran a roll of Kodak Gold 200 through the camera. Deliberately trying to challenge the lens for potential flare faults - including dominant bright areas of light as well as shots wide open to make sure the edges of the lens where in play.

A click on the image will take you to a larger version on Flickr.

Scans are all as they came to me from the lab - no additional processing on my end.

The Camera:

Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with taking lens separation

The separation can be difficult to see but appear to be covering about 50% running along the edges:

Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with taking lens separation

Example photos

1/15 f3.5 Table top tripod, Kodak Gold 200:

Test of Test Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with separated Planar - Kodak Gold 200 - 1/15 f/3.5

1/250 f8 Handheld, Kodak Gold 200:

Test of Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with separated Planar - Kodak Gold 200 - 1/250 f/8

1/500 f8 Handheld, Kodak Gold 200:

Test of Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with separated Planar - Kodak Gold 200 - 1/500 f/8

1/250 f/3.5 Handheld, Kodak Gold 200:

Test of Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with separated Planar - Kodak Gold 200 - 1/250 f/3.5

1/250 f5.6 Handheld, Kodak Gold 200:

Test of Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with separated Planar - Kodak Gold 200 - 1/250 f/5.6

1/125 f8 Handheld, Kodak Gold 200

Test of Rolleiflex 3.5E2 with separated Planar - Kodak Gold 200 - 1/125 f/8

To my eyes, this is a very useable camera.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 4
  • On Point 1
Niels

3 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

To my eyes, this is a very useable camera.

Yes Niels. Your results don't suggest ant detriment to image quality. It's a shame any kind of lens defect often results in the collapse of the camera's monetary value. On the other hand it may be possible to acquire a perfectly usable camera at reduces price. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

That's all well and good, but the effect depends on the separation and the lens.

The OP's lens shows classic rings of fire.

Item, my 58/5.6 Grandagon, whose separations manifest as silver spots near the center of the lens and rings of fire at the periphery.  No effect.  The lens is very usable.

Item, my 25-15 wide angle attachment for a 25/1.4 Cine Ektar, whose separations show as strong broad Newton's rings.  In footage shot with it, the rings are clearly visible.  The attachment is unusable.  I have another 25-15 with no separations.  Footage shot with it doesn't have visible rings.

When in doubt, test.

Edited by dan_fromm2
  • Like 1

Hi Niels,

Thanks for sharing the results. Yes your Planar is very usable, and the separation's impact is very minor if any.

I had two related experience:

1) Voigtlander Septon 50/2 (for Bessamatic/Ultramatic), wide ring around the edge, about 50% of surface area. If the sun is behind me or to the side of me, there is little discernible effect. But if I shoot straight into the sun, there is some veiling flare. I don't know if it was the separation or the lens design itself, since I don't have a good copy of Septon to compare.

2) Zeiss Sonnar 85/2 for Contarex, narrow ring around edge, about 25% of surface area. I cannot see much effects on the image quality, backlit or frontlit. And I use that lens wide open a lot.

Edited by bruce_z._li2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Where I live Gold 200 is about 25-30% cheaper than Portra 160. Haven’t checked Portra 400.

Yes — I'm in the UK and it looks like Gold is ~£50 for 5 rolls of 120, versus ~£80 for Portra 400. (I'm thinking I might try a roll of Portra 160 and see how I get on with it. The slower shutter speeds it would require is what put me off up till now.)